What is Error code: 0x80072afc

• EAW
  • EAW
  • Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My MSN premium email will not accept my additional email account - any ideas on how to fix? Can't find any info on Google. Many thanks, as always.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the full exact error?
  • EAW
  • EAW

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the complete error message -

Your message could not be sent or received because of an unexpected connection problem. Please check your network connection and try again.

Why this happened
Error code: 0x80072afc

I am connected to the internet (obviously), and I am receiveing mail from this address on Outlook - I only get the error message on MSN Premium.

Thanks for replying.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
WinSock error codes from servers
Error codes between 0x80072711 and 0x80072AFC are WinSock API errors,
where the actual API error value is the error code masked with 0xFFFF.
E.g.
0x80072711 and with mask 0xFFFF = 0x2711 = API error decimal 10001 for WinSock

It is known that something in the order of 100 or more error values exist. A module written purely to handle error codes and messages should be used to handle errors as they are detected.

i don't know what any of that means.

perhaps someone who is more adept with this kind of problem can help you.
  • EAW
  • EAW

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I am with you on that!! I will continue to search. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, The actual Winsock error is error 11004. This is determined by converting the last four numbers of the Hexidecimal error to decimal (that's what this part means: where the actual API error value is the error code masked with 0xFFFF.)

So basically you convert the Hex 2afc to decimal and that is 11004.

The actual Winsock error description for that is:

Quote:
WSANO_DATA (11004) Valid name, no data record of requested type

Berkeley description: The requested name is valid, but does not have an Internet IP address at the name server. This is not a temporary error. This means another type of request to the name server will result in an answer.

WinSock description: Same as Berkeley for host resolution. For protocol and services resolution, the name or number was not found in the respective database.

User suggestions: see WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND for details.

WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND - error 11001 gives more details:

Quote:
WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND (11001) Host not found

Berkeley description: No such host is known. The name you have used is not an official hostname or alias. This is not a soft error, another type of name server request may be successful.

WinSock description: Same as Berkeley. Any of the WinSock name resolution functions can fail with this error. The WinSock API does not provide any way to select specific name resolution protocols, server address, or record type.

TCP/IP scenario: Most WinSock implementations use domain name system (DNS) protocol for hostname to address resolution, although a few use Network Information System (NIS). Assuming you have a name server configured instead of or as well as a host table, a hostname resolution request causes a WinSock DLL to send a DNS "A" record query (address query) to the configured DNS query. If you have more than one server configured, the hostname query fails only after the WinSock DLL has queried all servers.

User suggestions: Check that you have a name server(s) and/or host table configured. If you are using a name server(s), check whether the server host(s) are up (e.g. try to ping the server(s)). You could also try to resolve another hostname you know should work, to check that the name resolution server application is running.

If you are using a host table exclusively, you'll need to update it to add the destination hostname and address.

Essentially, what this is saying is that it can't find the server that you're trying to find may be unavailable or is not configured properly. Double check your configuration instructions for setting this up and make sure you have everything configured to the instructions. In essence the problem is that it is not resolving the server name that you are looking for. It may be something as simple as an error in your setup configuration or may be something more complicated. Check your configuration first and we'll go from there.
  • EAW
  • EAW

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aha! I am working on this - can't thank you enough for your time in decoding the error message. WIll confirm results.
  • kels 1943
  • Born
  • Born
  • kels 1943

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can find the correct server name for yahoo mail and gmail please post as I am getting same error message. I will do the same.

Thanks!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you asking for mail servers? Here's a list of the more common mail servers including Yahoo and gmail
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips ... tings.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts