What's my URL/IP? RealVNC-related

• vlcmstnsrfr
  • Born
  • Born
  • vlcmstnsrfr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, just registered on this forum because I found the plethora of information to be shared here, so I was hoping ya'll could help me with this one-

I'm settin up RealVNC (A Remote Desktop access application) on my home computers since most of my family is computer illiterate and sometimes they want troubleshooting help. They live in Orange, and I'm up at Berkeley attending Cal for college, so I figured if I'm in Berkeley why not run this program that will let me access my comps at home from my laptop at berkeley? Everything is almost set up but I just can't seem to figure out how to get the computer name as seen by the world.... we're all on the same network at the moment so like a local IP Address does fine, but when I'm at berkeley i'm going to have to connect through the internet, not just LAN, I was hoping you guys knew how I can figure out what my comp is called or the name of it as it looks from the internet? Computers at home are connected through cable internet and run through a router initially.... I know my cable server is something along the lines of socal.rr.com, and i know the local IP address, but I guess I need the computer's URL to access it across the internet.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your computer doesn't have a URL. Web pages on servers have URLs. Your modem has an external IP address though which is probably used. Since, I've never setup VNC, you're going to have to look at the help for the configuration. Just search google for it.
  • vlcmstnsrfr
  • Born
  • Born
  • vlcmstnsrfr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya I figured the computer doesn't have an actual "URL," but I found my cable IP address which does me little to no good (being behind a router and all...) I read the whole manual for VNC and it simply says its doable but doesn't tell me how....

I go on like whatsmyip.com and i get that number, but I assume that number is the IP assigned to my router by my service provider, which means I still need another level of depth...

:( I thought some command in cmd prompt would have done the trick but so far it seems deeper and more troublesome than i thought
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In order to access your computer using VNC, you'll have to forward the port on your router so that the port that VNC uses is directed to your computer on your internal network. Once you've done that, you should be able to use your external IP to access the computer.

Go to your router's administration page and look for port forwarding. The process is relatively simple.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://portforward.com/

Has guides on how to do port forwarding for various routers and applications.
  • Coder1251
  • Born
  • Born
  • Coder1251

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can find all external info about you computer here http://my-addr.com/my-ip-and-proxy-headers/geo-city-country-lookup/my_ip.php

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts