What do you do to keep your computer smooth?

• ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you do to keep your computer running smoothly? what kind of maintenance? please provide hints. and also someone check out the problem i have with my computer that i posted earlier by clicking here

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/happens-again-address-dns-and-all-that-t20046.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my laptop I leave it on at night and it runs scandisk, defrag and AVG. Then I also run adaware about once a week on it just to see if I have gotten any new data miners. On my tower I run defrag about once every two weeks or so then I run the windows update page about once a month on all my computers. I really haven't had any problems with leaving my laptop on over night because it is in my office which is part of the garage and since there is no heat out here the temp is usually just a few degrees warmer in here than outside. So it usually stays below 70 in here :D other than that not to much else in maintenance. I also delete temporary internet files about once a month or when ever I feel like it. Enjoy :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

About every couple of months, I just restore my system from the CDs I made with Norton Ghost when I initially setup the PC. Then I just restore my work directories.

It's quicker than scandisk & defragging, and removes all the useless crap that windows seems to accumulate. :)
  • ricky_yean
  • ricky_yean

Post 3+ Months Ago

As we install new softwares does the system get rewritten or added stuff to it? If I get a software and restore system files like you do, would the computer softwares not be able to function properly? If there is no such rish, i think this is a really good way to keep computer fresh and clean
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I get the OS, drivers, software and everything running sweet...

If I install new software, it's usually to try it out til the next format, to see how good it is. If it's good and I'm going to use it, I just make sure to have the setup files handy for when I do format.

Once I've restored from the image files, I install the new software, then create a new set of image files.

Sure, it can eat up a dozen CDs to create the image each time, but it's like 15 bucks for a 100 pack of CD-Rs these days, and if you use CD-RW, you can just keep formatting 'em over and over to make a new backup set, so it's no biggy.

If the software ends up wasting too much resources, time (can you say "Snood"? :lol:), or is simply shareware that I've decided to not register and no longer use, I know there won't be any traces of it on the next format & system restore.

It can take a day or so to fully backup my work, restore from the system backups, and make new system backups (if I need to), but that day is MORE than made up for when you're actually working on the system and getting work done that much quicker because the PC's running so much smoother & sharper.
  • xfsunoles
  • xfsunoles

Post 3+ Months Ago

i haven't get spyware in 2 week. i must be a lucky. Defrag Disk help your HDD to remove un necessary file. i run scandisk, no problem there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts