When an ISP "takes over" your I.E. browser...

• jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me... I'm a PC tech, and have many of my clients, *recently*, contacting me with problems with their ISP "taking over" their I.E. and Outlook programs. For example: Earthlink and AOL. And... these clients cannot access some websites/downloads! It's like their I.E. has been hijacked and corrupted. I've tried "repairing" I.E., and that doesn't fix the problem. When I download another browser, like NS 7.1, everything works fine. (they can access the website or download)

Can anyone help me figure out how to help these people who've been invaded by their ISP's ?

Tx, Ozzu.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that more than ISP's taking IE you have a few clients with spyware in their pc's. Try some of the spyware removal tool out there to see what happen. There's a lot of information around here in Ozzu about that.

Try this http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html on your clients pc and post your log here, we have some experts in spyware around here who can help you
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never used AOL but have heard lots about it. Doesn't it pretty much take over your computer anyway, I've heard they can be fairly restrictive..

Alkatr0z
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh yeah... AOL, Earthlink and Comcast are three ISP's I've seen do this. They "take over" the IE and Outlook programs. When you open IE, from the programs... you will not see the Windows banner in the top right corner... you see like, the Earthlink or AOL banner. Everything *seems* to work fine... but then, there are just a few websites and/or downloads that won't work. I've loaded NS 7.1 to get around this problem, on numerous occasions...

Also, I've ran Ad-Aware and Spybot on ALL these computers and that does nothing to fix this problem. :(
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spybot Search & Destroy has a function under tools. Look at all of the BHO's and ActiveX Controls.

Unfortunately many nationwide ISP's have taken a "forceful compliance" attitude toward certain web & e-mail based activities. This is hidden under "keeping your computer secure from nefarious websites and Email”, but is more to "keep you in line."

Personally I refuse to install any software on my machines from ISP's or my school. The key is to trust No one. That and a good VM client to have a stripped and locked down image of win2kpro on, if you need any VPN tunnel software.

Oh and as for AOL/CompuServe and any other ISP that requires extra software to get online, don't use them. Many local ISP's have been getting nationwide POP service via the major phone companies and ISP consortiums and conglomerates.
  • Managedlinks
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Managedlinks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Earthlink Comcast etc. dont "Take Over" your ie browser they supply a customised version of it.

You can customise it yourself if you want to, have your own logo etc...

The best method is to start your internet session then minimise their browser. Then open your own to do real surfing. (Firefox is good)
A better solution is to move to a real ISP!

There are a substantial number of "toolbars" and "Browser helper objects" BHO's that play mind games with you. A common ploy is to lace search results with their own search results, if you click on them they get paid. but you think you are clicking on a legitimate result from say google.

I RECOMMEND going to control panel open Internet Options clicking the advanced tab and look for "enable third party add ins" remove the tick from it and restart your computer, This will disable any BHO's. See if that improves your surfing.
Please note it will not remove them just disable them.
As far as I know BHO's have full and unfettered access to secure transactions which means they can EASILY pilfer credit card details bank logins etc. (please correct me if I am wrong here)
Pretty scary stuff.

The idea by MS was great but really really badly thought out.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i know that , i got virgin.net as dial up(till broadband comes) and its good the only change i got was a icon top right of ie. i have seen systems having to be formatted to get aol completely off a it!! and there software is horrible!!! its ugly and can never find n e thing!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts