Where did my diskspace go?

• ptarn
  • Born
  • Born
  • ptarn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows XP on a computer equipped with two harddrives divided into 5 partitions on which the first partition (C:) of 10GB is used for the system and programs.
If I check the properties of this partition I get the following:
used 9.2 GB, free 569 MB, capacity 9.76 GB
If I add the contents of all the subdirectories and files of this disk I get only about 7.7GB. Where did the missing 1.5 GB go?
  • webman
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my 80GB seperated into 2 partions. Drive d which is 60GB only shows a total of 58.7 GB, give or take a few mB.

The reason is, iether 1, the hard-drive isn't perfectly 10GB[blur] (80GB is never 80GB its like 78.2GB)[/blur]

2. Windows XP needs to go somewhere, so XP uses up 1 GIG of room for its space and temporary space etc. and what not. NTFS saves space, but Windowx Xp doesn't. Thats what i have. I noticed at leassst 1.0 GB gone After installings XP. It uses space to install XP then uses everythin else for temporary space etc...

===
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason is a gig is actual 1024bytes. So technically 10GB is 10240 bytes. Disk drive manufacturer's figured it would be easier to just call it a 10GB hard drive for the sake of simplicity. Not a big deal when you deal with small hard drives but when you get into bigger hard drives you are getting screwed. 80 true gigs is 81920 bytes so you are losing over a gig of space because of this. I have 240GB which equates to 245760 bytes. When in all actuality I am "missing" 5760 bytes. Hope this helps.
  • ptarn
  • Born
  • Born
  • ptarn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm not talking about a few measly bytes, I'm talking about 1.5 GB. If Windows needs that much space reserved on order to manage the all too frequent updates, then why wouldn't they make a reserved file called temp. or what-not. There must be another reason. Something or someone has hyjacked some of my diskspace and I would like to know what it is.
If anyone has a clue please let me know. Many thanks
  • ptarn
  • Born
  • Born
  • ptarn

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way grinch2171 you have lost a few "M.s" someplace. A gig is more like 1024MB and not bytes.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ptarn - are you accounting for hidden system files? And the ultra-hidden system files?
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I probably think it's because of swap space used by win xp...if you have 256 Ram, XP will take 384 mb space by default...if you have 512 then it will take 786...

order to optimize its use and since you have 2 HDD, set the swap space on the Other HDD then the one Winxp is nstalled on...like this during work...the swap will have its own drive to work one making it faster to access data
  • ptarn
  • Born
  • Born
  • ptarn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW for the hint.
I rechecked the file view under tools, folder options, view and found that "show hidden files and folders" was checked, however there was another option "hide operating system folders" which was also checked. Unchecking this temporarily revealed two additional subdirectories called "recycler" and "System Volume Information" which accounted for the missing 1.5GB
Now I can sleep again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

ptarn wrote:
By the way grinch2171 you have lost a few "M.s" someplace. A gig is more like 1024MB and not bytes.

I though it looked weird when I wrote it, thanks for the update.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts