Why Can't I FTP using XP Pro?

• SAnDmAN67
  • Born
  • Born
  • SAnDmAN67

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been trying fo rseveral days to figure this out. First let me give you my system specs;

SOYO KT400 Platinum
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
512MB Crucial 3200
ATI Radeon 9600
Creative Audigy 2
3com Etherlink XL10/100 TL NIC
Motorola Cable Modem
Western Digital 200GB HDD
Built in RAID W/2 Western Digital 120GB HDD's
Sony DRU510A
Lite-On LTR 32123s
Lite-On LTD 163D
Enermax 600Watt Whisper

Okay with that done let me explain what I have done so far. I installed Flash FXP and WS_FTP Pro so that I can get some files moving between my Xbox and my computer. I also would like to use them to access an FTP site called Xbins. However, each time I try to connect to their server it says, "Finding host distribution.xbins.org... > Connecting to 199.3.239.231:21 > Connected to 199.3.239.231:21 in 0.015625 seconds, Waiting for Server Response". Then it says, "Failed to receive response after connect". It does this in both programs and I cannot figure out why :cry: . I called my provider and asked them if they block any ports and they said no. They even walked me through a couple of things to try and get it to work but no luck. Please guys :( can you help me out here?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know anyone else who is able to connect to distribution.xbins.org successfully? The reason I am asking, is that way you can rule out that the problem isn't on their end, and is actually on your end.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have XP Pro and I can FTP fine...
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did your service provider have you check the response to wait time limit? I think you can alter the amount of time your computer waits till it times out. Are you sitting behind a firewall? If so what brand is it? And are you NATing?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a username and password? Try going thru a command prompt
Code: [ Select ]
ftp 199.3.239.231

then enter the user name and password. If you need a list of the command prompt ftp commands
Code: [ Select ]
ftp> help
see if you can get in that way and download the programs you need.
  • SAnDmAN67
  • Born
  • Born
  • SAnDmAN67

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster- I tried connecting to a couple of other FTP sites with similar results. So I can rule out that it is a problem on their end.

ModernDestroyer-
Quote:
You check the response to wait time limit? Are you sitting behind a firewall? If so what brand is it? And are you NATing?

I did not check the response to wait time limit. I thought about the firewall issue too so I uninstalled my zone alarm pro. I am not sure what NATing is please explain. I will try connecting directly via CMD prompt.
  • SAnDmAN67
  • Born
  • Born
  • SAnDmAN67

Post 3+ Months Ago

No luck with the CMD prompt FTPing :cry: It says connection closed at remote host. Any other ideas?
  • SAnDmAN67
  • Born
  • Born
  • SAnDmAN67

Post 3+ Months Ago

How could I find out if my service provider is telling the truth or not about any blocked ports? Something tells me they are not telling the truth :x Also, if they are is there a way around that?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

SAnDmAN67 wrote:
How could I find out if my service provider is telling the truth or not about any blocked ports?

You might try and get a port scanner off the internet and see if the ports are open. NATing is Network Address Translation, most firewalls now a days have it. What it does is translates a public IP address into a private address. The firewall will have a public address assigned to its WAN port and usually the firewall will be a DHCP server and serve out IP addresses on it's internal ports. That is where the private addresses will come from. You may have as many as 20 computers behind the firewall but all anybody else will see is that one public address is really busy. The whole reason for the NATing is to keep people out of your network or computer.

If you get the scanner and run it, don't be surprised if you get a call from your ISP asking if you have a virus on your computer. The reason I say that is they watch there traffic and anything coming from inside there network pinging sequela numbers and port scanning. Allot of viruses do IP and port scans across networks. But if you can run the scan and you find out if port 21 is blocked. Then give your ISP a phone call and try and talk to a tech and tell him/her your problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i never thought of that
i could just try that if one of my friends has a problems like that
good advice

chao!
  • Macc
  • Born
  • Born
  • Macc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, Im new here but you all seem to know your stuff and I found this thread whilst googling so heres the deal, ive read the many tutorials located on other sites and this is whats happening (and what ive done so far)
I have Windows XP Pro running, a VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter installed with the most up to date drivers, a working cross over cable (it is working and it is a crossover cable)

The following are exerpts from a tutorial that im basically using as a checklist.

Basically you can setup the [Network] Section of your evox.ini to look like this:
[Network]
SetupNetwork = Yes
StaticIP = Yes
Ip = 192.168.0.3
Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
Defaultgateway =
DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

DONE

You may also have SkipifNoLink and you can set that to No.
Also verify your [FTP] Section looks like this:
[FTP]
Enable = Yes
Password = xbox
IGR = No

DONE

Now on your computer go to the properties of the NIC that has a crossover cable connected to the Xbox. Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then properties. Enter the following:
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: <leave blank>
DNS: <leave blank>

DONE

That’s it. Simple huh? Now set up your FTP Client. For FlashFXP, install the program and run it. Click on “Site Manager” then click to create a new site. Name it Xbox or whatever and for the IP enter 192.168.0.3, verify the port is 21. The username and password are both “xbox”, all lower-case and without the quotes. Go to options and uncheck any check marks on PASV or passive mode. Apply the settings and connect.

DONE

Guess what?

'Connection timed out' error

So heres what I see on the system settings on the xbox;

Type : Static
IP: 192.168.0.3
Line Status 10/Half Duplex
Ethernet Mac Address 00:50:F2:D6:85:45
Setup Network: Yes
Use Static IP : Yes
IP: 192.168.03
Subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:
DNS 0.0.0.0
DNS 0.0.0.0
Setup Delay: 5
Skip Setup if No Link : No

And further down..

Enable : Yes
Password : xbox
IGR : No

-------------------

On my pc the details are exact as they are printed in the info above, the only things ive done different since this is force the speed of my card through the configure/advanced/connection type from automatic to 10mb half duplex, and as a result the previously 'no link' xbox suddenly found the card. Also ive seen on the net reports of people disabling the media sense on xp and 2000 machines (via registry) for people having 'media disconnected' errors when typing ipconfig /all or 'network cable unplugged' errors, so i did this which got rid of the 'media disconnected' but not the 'network cable unplugged', anyway, here is the report from the ipconfig /all.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : andy
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter DSLW-EA900 USB ADSL Driver:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.26.101.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.26.101.104
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.26.107.2

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-5F-51-36
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Also, i scanned for the blaster worm as i also heard that maybe a culprit in this situation but im clean and patched.

I can also Ping localhost and 192.168.0.2 but not 192.168.0.3 (xbox) which reports a timeout.

Now im not sure of where to proceed from here on in, im still unable to ftp although i have made some marginal progress, any help is appreciated ,and i think ive provided all the info that anyone should need, please help as im going grey more rapid than id like.
  • delaclete
  • Born
  • Born
  • delaclete

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you manage to network your XBox with your PC? I have the exact same problem, it's still timing out and i've been at it for days now, i have XP Pro.
  • Macc
  • Born
  • Born
  • Macc

Post 3+ Months Ago

it turned out to be a dodgy pin on the nic in the xbox, a little messing with a screwdriver got it lined up again, after all the headaches i had it turned out to be something as simple as that, typical.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

it would have been a little easier with a paper clip partly straightend out with a little right angle bend at the tip then you could slid it between the nic pins and straighten them out and not worry about bending the other ones close to it

|______(____) <--- the paper clip, the (___) is suppose to be the inner circle part of the paper clip and would be the part you would hold on to and the |___ is the little rt. angle bend, the length left on the tip is about 1/8 of an inch or so. This is just for future reference enjoy :D
  • netechy
  • Born
  • Born
  • netechy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
I just want to let you all know, I have XP Pro, I am having a hard time running FTP. DOS Prompt, CUTE_FTP, PASV, and non PASV. Passive modem does not even get as far as non passive mode. The ISP does not recommend passive modem either. I have no problems connecting with my windows 98 machine. It only occurs when I try to execute a list command or a get or put command. It freezes on a port connection. I have verified there is no firewall running, bad me, I never installed one, and verified the XP firewall is not enabled. I KNOW the ISP doesn't block any ports, except for a few ports during the Blaster worm outbreak. There is something that XP is doing? moving ports maybe? I don't know. I am going to test some other options myself in the next few days. I am also running service pack 1....wonder what service pack 1a will do?

laters

netechy
  • rsusanto
  • Born
  • Born
  • rsusanto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have EXACTLY the same problem as NETECHY. I can connect to my XBOX from my Win98 machine, although the connection is really unstable if I use 3rd party programs like CUTEFTP, WSFTP etc.

What I'm using to transfer file from this machine is just INTERNET EXPLORER. It's really stable and I don't have any difficulty whatsoever.

However, I can't seem to make any ftp program to run from my XP PRO machine, with no firewall activated. This really puzzles me.

I will appreciate it if somebody can share what they have learned from this problem.

Thanks,
rsusanto
  • schizojoe
  • Born
  • Born
  • schizojoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys I don't know if I'm in the wrong here ...but I have this same problem I can even ping my box but still cannot ftp to it .... I have read a post that says to enable ICS for that connection.. like in my problem I'm using two NIC's and just cannot connect but yet can still ping with xp.. so those of you with the problem try enabling ICS for the connection I read that works...... let me know if it does......... reason I can try it is it errors saying "A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing" when I try to enable Internet Connection Sharing for that nic........ please let me know if you know how to get rid of that error trying to enable ICS
-Joe
  • catalyst_ext
  • Born
  • Born
  • catalyst_ext

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in the same boat there. I have XP Home and I can't FTP into my XboX (I have tried using both FlashFXP and WS_FTP). I can connect but after about 10 seconds or so it disconnects and I can't see the files/folders in the XboX. I'll try some of the ways other people have mentioned as well, though.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • peteragdavies
  • Born
  • Born
  • peteragdavies

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had a similar problem with ftp from a Windows XP machine. However, it is only with a particular siste. FTP sign on works fine to the site. I can change directories remotely fine, but as soon as I try a list, get or put command I get a long wait followed by a connection time out. I can do everything successfully from my Windows ME, but not from Windows XP. On some other ftp sites ftp works fine from Windows XP, so it must be a combination of some settings at the server end and something changed on Windows XP.

As it used to work fine from Windows XP, I strongly suspect one of the recent Windows XP Fixpacks I have applied over the last couple of months, but I don't use ftp often enough to be sure which one, and it's not worth the hassle of backing them out one by one. It may not even be a code bug. I am familiar with the standard TCP/IP settings but there are probably a few that I don't know about, and the Fixpack may just have changed one of them - probably something to do with security.

I do use Zone Labs firewall, but still have the problem when this is disabled. The link does not have the Windows firewall enabled either.

A problem with the home network has also occurred around the same time. I cannot use the broadband connection to the Windows XP box using ICS from the Windows ME box for web browsing any more. File sharing between the boxes works fine, and even external pings and pop and smtp email, but not http. :(

The two problems occurred at about the same time, though I wouldn't bet my house on it, and I can't see for the life of me how they could have a common cause, except by independent bugs (or option changes) in the same fixpack.

Suggestions welcome. :)
  • Choakster
  • Born
  • Born
  • Choakster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is an old post but Id like to reply to the guy who had a question about getting into the XBOX Xbins site ..

The way XBINS works is that you must first go to the IRC channel for XBINS. You then /msg XBINS and hell say something back .. The you type !list .

The IRC bot will then give you the login info you need for the FTP .. However He also is the one that grants your IP access to the FTP server .... Its very slick how they have it set up ..

Good luck ..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts