win 98 help

• thomas_sum
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • thomas_sum

Post 3+ Months Ago

whenever i open a new program it uploaded very slow as i already upgrade my ram to 512. And whenever i wanted to burn a cd my nero software will hung and i have to end task it and reopen it and it works back to normal.... Anyone knows wat the problem?

My system is a pentium2 233Mhz running os win 98se
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

thomas_sum wrote:
My system is a pentium2 233Mhz running os win 98se

Thats your problem. but incase you can't upgrade, check all your fans to make sure they are running.

My moms pentium II 266 is just as slow, so I figure the only you could do is upgrade the whole thing/buy a new one.

How many sticks of ram do you have?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not the RAM.

It's system resources, specifically "hooks". When you close programs, technically they are supposed to release their "hooks" and free up resources. Most do, but some are worse than others. Microsoft Office proggies like Word and Outlook are big culprits of this. Also too many programs running in the background or at start up are other resource "hogs". It's another failure of Win98 to be efficient. Win2K and XP have both done a much better job with this issue.

You may want to check out some of the "tweak" links listed in section II of this link:

http://www.dotcomjunkies.com/members/m/ ... rces.shtml
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW Did I ever tell you you are my god/savior, I've been wanting to fix that blasted hook problem!

I just wanted him to check with the ram because when I had two sticks of 128 and one stick of 512 my 2.4ghz system ran much slower, and eventually blue screened.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me guess...you had a bad chip?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah, my system just didn't work well with one big stick and two little stick!

But could you point me in the direction of the right tweak? I looked around on those sites and you wont be getting a foot cleaning till I find it! :-p
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have nothing specific b_heyer. Basically, I just eliminated all but the core stuff from my task manager and have only essential things running at startup. That seems to do the trick. If I know I'm going to be using a large proggy and I'm multitasking, I close down a few odds and ends programs...and make sure I have the rest saved regularly in case I crash.

That method seems to do the trick for me. I have also, used quite a few of the odd's and end tweaks listed on those sights.

THere's no overall fix for it other than understanding your computer and having to reboot occasionally. I've never tried it, but I have heard that this is a good little program and fairly cheap:
http://www.winguides.com/tweak/
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I do reboot when I see my resources dropping below 40 or so. I don't know if you've ever played unreal, but the editor they use is a huge memory hog, and so it Adobe Atmospheres. I'll end up wiht usually less then 5% free when using those.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear ya - good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts