Win ME restarts itself

• jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

HELP! My Win ME restarts automatically. It does it in both Safe and NOrmal mode, as it completes startup, it will just restart itself, which causes it to run scandisk, which it does, then when it comes up in Windows, it'll restart. HELP ! :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have an anti-virus program? If so, insert the emergency boot disk and boot to your virus scan and run it.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tx, good idea... I'll give that a try. Does this sound like a characteristic of a virus?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly. Another possibility is a bad driver, although it still should let you get into safe mode. Safe mode loads a minimal set of drivers so you can troubleshoot. But you still could have a bad driver. If the virus scan doesn't work, you might need to load your Windows OS disc and run a repair on Windows.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing to try is to press F8 like your going to access Safe mode and select Step by Step Confirmation. This lets you see what its loading up and it will ask you if you want to load it. Hence you can take note of the last one before it restarts and possibly narrow it down to that item(depending on what it is).

Alkatr0z
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

AlkatrOz good idea. I forgot she said she was on ME. Along those lines there's the option to create a bootlog. This could be viewed in DOS mode to trouble shoot the problem. Personally, I feel it's a driver that's corrupt.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totally agree, I think it's a driver problem, too. At first, when this PC came to me, I was really thinking it was a hardware problem. But... more and more I'm thinking it's software. Can you tell me how I troubleshoot the problem in DOS mode? It seems DOS is the only thing I can move around in... Safe Mode isn't safe either. Your suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! tx in advance.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hit F8 like AlkaTr0z suggested. That will take you to your Windows startup menu. Off the top of my head I can't remember what option it is, but there should be one that says to create bootlog. After Windows tries to load and crashes, on reboot get into DOS mode. There should be a bootlog.txt file in the root of C: You can read it, by typing edit bootlog.txt at the command prompt. It gives you a detailed rundown of everything that happens during the boot process. Whatever was the last thing that failed to load is most likely what's causing the problem.

Here is some additional info to help you understand what's in the bootlog file

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... virus.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;127970&
http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/institutes/to ... ootlog.htm
http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/bootboot.html

A google search for bootlog will provide plenty of additional reading.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't the Blaster virus cause this problem? I know it did on my buddy's PC.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Doesn't the Blaster virus cause this problem? I know it did on my buddy's PC.

Blaster exploited the NT codebase (which includes XP, but not 98 or ME).
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... I think this computer might be a lost cause. I'm really trying anything but to format the hard drive... I can not get it to even write to a bootlog.txt file... I tried the step-by-step confirmation, and that didn't work. I can't get it to stay in Windows at the Safe Mode, it restarts itself there, also. When it starts windows, either in safe mode or normal, it will (run scan disk, obviously), then proceed to bring up the desktop, then load the system tray... after that the hd light keeps crankin' away, then "POOF" the restart. I tried shutting down windows from the menu, and restarting it, which it doesn't run scan disk, but then, it boots exactly like I just said... loads up the desktop, sys tray, and hd bangs away, then poof... both in safe mode, and normal. What da ya think, guys... is it a lost cause and should I reformat ? :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you get any "beeps" coming out of the computer when it crashes? If so descibe the sequence of the beeps, in "long" and "short" terms - i.e one long, 3 short. Also, what is the BIOS brand (first thing that appears on the screen when your computer is turned on)?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kind of curious, how much RAM do you have?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny you should ask that about the RAM -- I was thinking she might have a failing RAM chip. That's why I asked for the BIOS error beeps. It should identify a failing/failed hardware device.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If she has over 1.5GB of RAM, WINME will reboot continuously just because ME was not built to handle that much RAM as with 98, however, there is a fix for it.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The computer is an IBM Netvista... came preloaded with all the IBM bells n' whistles... for the life of me I can't figure out how to can the ME/IBM commercial on boot to see the BIOS run... after going into many different "menus" offered... This is what I come up with... 640kb base memory, 63361kb extended and 61249kb xms. So, what is that 128kb memory? (the pc's about 2.5 years old) All the diagnostic tests on all the hardware run clean (for what that's worth... there again, all packaged up nicely from IBM) Sooo... does that help? I'm actually trying to get this thing to boot from a 98 startup disk, AND IT WON'T ! I was fixin' to install 98SE... HELP.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

OH! I forgot to add in my last post... it makes no beeps when it restarts. Silent but deadly... :D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No Beeps!!!! That is not good. Your PC should make some sort of a POST(Power On Self Test) which is the beeps.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I just restarted it again, and yep... NO beeps, at all when it restarts. no joke...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

To see the post results, just hit escape when you start. That should elliminate the IBM splash screen.

IBM BIOS errors differ by machine. You'll need to find your model from these links and check out any error info:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search.wss ... tf-8&cc=us

The fact that you don't get any beep is not normally a good sign, but I've never looked that closely at IBM's stuff since I've moestly only ever worked with AMI BIOS.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been checking out the IBM support website, and what is your opion about updating the BIOS on this monster? Think that would get me anywhere ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't offer any opinions on whether or not it would help. My first thought is probably not. When you do the step by step confirmation, what exactly is the last thing that comes up before it craps out on you?
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I did the step-by-step... I chose to basically NOT load anything, and it comes up, runs scan disk, starts to load the desktop, loads the system tray, everything looks hunky dory, but all the while the hard drive light is cranking away... then... poof... restart. It does this both in safe mode and normal. Also, I've been trying to create a bootlog.txt file, and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's "putting" the dang thang... not in the root directory, not in the windows directory... ? ? ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK --now that makes a difference! - You just gave me some info I can work with. Give me a couple moments, and at least get you the location of the bootlog.txt, although with what you just told me, I know longer think you'll need it. I think you have a program set to run at start up that's causing you grief, or you may possibly have too many fonts on your computer. More than likely the former. Let me check some things and I'll get back with ya. (Now that I know how far you get, I'm inclined to rule out hardware problems.)
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can guarantee it's not fonts. I'll wait for your post.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's start with this. Did this just start today? if not, when?
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

It started 'intermittently' a few weeks ago... it would restart a few times, then would be fine... gradually the 'restarts' got more and more frequent. Now, it won't "NOT" restart itself. Can you tell me how I might disable whats in startup by editing one of the system files in DOS, it will boot off a bootable floppy, and I can move around the hd that way...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is one thing you could do first -- however before you do it, give me a moment to see if I can remember how to edit your existing registery in DOS to elliminate the programs set to run at startup.

This is how to restore your registery to an earlier date in ME:
Reboot and get to a DOS prompt. Type in: scanreg /restore

It will take a couple moments to scan system files and then bring you to a screen where it says Microsoft Registry Checker and ask you to select a cab to restore from. Scroll up and down and find the earliest date listed. Then hit entore to begin the registery restore. Try rebooting to Windows and see if you get any further.

Back in a few.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got my 98se startup disk to work, and I've formatted the hard drive. I'm attempting to install 98se, now. I've got more problems, and I'm really starting to suspect my hard drive... I've got more problems, now, without my ME problems. Thanks for your help, anyway. Wish me luck !
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry that took so long. I found a Windows 95 variation of what I remembered, but my info is burried in notes that are about a year old. And from what I just saw, I don't think I'd even attempt editing my registery in DOS. If I was sitting in your shoes, I think I'd try the registery restore method I listed above and see if I could at least get into safe mode.

You're pretty much stuck in the mud as it is, but without access to edit the registery, I'm not sure you can remove the programs set to run at startup from DOS. If you can at least get into safe mode then you could run MSCONFIG and elliminate the garbage from startup.

You might want to see if anyone else has an opinion, but I'd be so frustrated right now if I was in your shoes I'd just run scanreg and see what happens. If that didn't fix it my next step would be to format the computer and start from scratch with a clean operating system.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 100 posts