Win7 updates fail to configure

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right by my shut down button on the start menu I get an exclamation mark in a shield indicating that updates are ready to be installed... I just need to shut down the computer. SO I went ahead and shut down and wait for 2 updates to install. When my computer shuts down, I turn it back on and wait for the computer to configure the updates. The percentage stays at 0 for like 5 minutes and then it tells me that it failed to configure updates and that it is reverting any changes made.

I've tried this like 4 times, and it told me that error every time. What do I do?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you looked in event viewer?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The event viewer says the following:

Quote:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800705b4: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2529073).

Information only. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Virtualization Handler\CVHSVC.EXE is trusted.

Information only. CurrentSoftGridPrereq: Click2Run installation (version = 14.0.4763.1000) is found on the machine; skipping installation...

I already fixed this by manually going to the windows update feature in control panel, installing updates there and restarting my computer. So I got the updates done... just throwing those errors here for curiosity sake.

The update is not a big deal since I run x86 and not x64
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure you are running 32-bit? You wouldn't have a C:\Program Files (x86) folder if you were. That folder only exists in 64-bit versions of Windows.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Are you sure you are running 32-bit? You wouldn't have a C:\Program Files (x86) folder if you were. That folder only exists in 64-bit versions of Windows.

I thought that x86 is 64bit... am I wrong?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The folder C:\Program Files (x86) exists on 64-bit versions of Windows and is where 32-bit applications get installed.

The term x86 refers to a family of instruction set architectures based on the Intel 8086 CPU. x86 processors can be 64-bit and is usually denoted x86-64 or more commonly x64 and x86 refers to 32-bit.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The folder C:\Program Files (x86) exists on 64-bit versions of Windows and is where 32-bit applications get installed.

The term x86 refers to a family of instruction set architectures based on the Intel 8086 CPU. x86 processors can be 64-bit and is usually denoted x86-64 or more commonly x64 and x86 refers to 32-bit.

Oh I see. So x86 is 32bit systems... ok.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
grinch2171 wrote:

Oh I see. So x86 is 32bit systems... ok.

Don't mean to be rude but this is hardware changes that have been around for years and the great year of the introduction to vista where nothing was compatible due to the new architectures gave a clear view what is going to happen to the hardware industry.

Now once they finish up quantum theory CPU i think 128bit will be released to the public, and oh joy more problems.
  • juanantoniod
  • juanantoniod
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just FYI - When this happens to me, I usually just wait it out and let Windows take care of itself. Microsoft usually hears about these problems and, eventually, releases an update that actually _works_!

~Antonio :)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

juanantoniod wrote:
Just FYI - When this happens to me, I usually just wait it out and let Windows take care of itself. Microsoft usually hears about these problems and, eventually, releases an update that actually _works_!

~Antonio :)

Microsoft release something that works....WHERE haha
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Microsoft release something that works....WHERE haha

More mindless MS bashing, gotta love it. :roll:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts