Windows 2000 + access denied on folders

• letmespeak
  • Born
  • Born
  • letmespeak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just installed a new copy of windows 2000 pro. I have two hard drives, yet I only formated the master hard drive as I wanted to keep the data on the slave hard drive.

Only problem is that there is sharing violations, and I'm not able to access the folders on the other hard drive - every time I click the folder it says d:\music is not accessible. Access is Denied.

I've checked the sharing properties and the folder is not shared, but I am unable to change this - when I change it, and click ok I get a prompt box saying "An error occured while trying to share music. Access is denied. The shared resource was not created at this time"

Any help would be much appreciated, I've tried changing the folders name etc but to no hope. I've also tried loading DOS and doing it from there, but I'm un able to access any of the hard drives in DOS other than the floppy drive.

Is there any way around in this without having to lose all the data on my slave drive?

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Log in as administrator. Right click the drive letter and select properties. Click the Security Tab, then Advanced. Click the Owner tab. Highlight your user account. Check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Click Apply. Then OK and close out. That should give you access back to that drive.
  • Jeppen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jeppen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello! I have Exactly the same problem, but in Windows XP. My computer crashed and i re-installed XP... But now some of the folders are "denied" when i try to access them on the slave drive.
The problem is that there are no security tab in XP... What might be the alternative solution for me? Thanx in advance for anyone who like to help me out here! :shock:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's mentioned elsewhere, but you don't have a security tab because you installed XP on a FAT partition. You can convert to NTFS (search Google on how) to be able to set permissions and take ownership via the security tab.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts