Windows 2000 Pro on Active Directory

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Windows 2000 Pro machine controlling a robot. I want it on AD.

I use my Quest ActiveRoles system to add the name to the AD, and set it that any domain user is capable to add that computer to the domain.

I call the machine NWINCELL3K.

Now we have a few OU's but this is basically set as No-Policy Workstation OU on the DC of "company.com".

The old NT Resource domain for "Company.com" was called "NORTHAMERICA".

so when we need to connect to a network resource from a computer that isnt on the AD we use northamerica\username.

Okay so I go to "My Computer" and then to "Network Identification" and then I go to "Properties". I then put the domain "company.com". It ask me for a username and password and I put in "northamerica\username" and my password and hit "ok". On XP at that point, it will say "Welcome to Company.com".

On windows 2000 though I get:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain 'company.com':
No mapping between account names and security ID's was done"

I tried adding my userid to the machine but it wouldnt allow the northamerica\username.

Any Ideas?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have the time to realy think through it, nor look it up for sure or directions on how, but something pricks the back of my mind about needed to set up a trust relationship. Perhaps that at least might give you an idea to workwith. Grinch might know for sure. He'll see your post when he comes around.

//edit - another possibility I just though of and is more likely, is that you might have to set it to be part of a "workgroup" first, reboot, then try joining it to the domain. Really there should not be any difficulty joining a Win2k machine to a 2000 or 2003 Domain.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I had renamed the machine and needed to reboot another time or two and then it allowed me onto the domain. I then had a problem with adding a username as administrator and it complained about the trust relationship failing. So I just logged on as a domain user with no rights, and then opened up "Control Userpasswords" and then put in local machine Administrator credentials. Then I added the domain usernames I wanted to the machine.

Stupid robot manufacturers. Just because the machine is an alpha prototype and there are only 5 of them in the entire world doesn't mean you can't design it a little better.

I mean they use raid 0 on a $1.3M mission critical appliance. All I get is "oh we need fastest disk IO." and I'm like, "well, if you were using something better than a P3-750Mhz with U160 LVD 10k rpm scsi's you wouldn't need raid 0 and could use a raid 5 of fiber channel or sas 15k rpm drives with a hot-spare." And the data collection cards that connect to the machine are regular PCI, not even PCI-X. Pathetic, real pathetic.

That is exactly why ME's, EE's, Business Majors and Biogeeks should NOT be allowed to make computer related decisions.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So is the issue resolved?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. I forgot it was windows 2000 - The os of a 1,000 reboots becuse 1 is just never enough.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol - I like that. I might have to post that on my door at work!
  • shallymedac2004
  • Born
  • Born
  • shallymedac2004

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can i join linux edubunto to windows 2000 domain? please. help, thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts