Windows 2000 Service Pack problems

• Norrister
  • Born
  • Born
  • Norrister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,
Well let me start by giving you the specs of my PC. I'm currently running Windows 2000 professional OS. Intel P4 1.5ghz processor. 390mb Ram and a graphics card from Nvidia GeForce FX 128mb.

Well my problem is this, i think i have recently caught the Sasser Worm virus. I never had a fire wall but now I do and my system seems stable. The problems i get are that i can not load up Norton 2004 AV because it the error that comes up says there are abnormal behaviours and that there may be a virus affectin the start up of Norton.

Also running on Windows 2000, since recieving the Sasser worm i was unsure of what to do as being a novice user. So i completely formatted my HD and re-installed Win2000. Once i had done this i was stil getting the 'NT shutdown error' from the lasass.exe virus. I used the Sasser removal tool from Symantec but this says my system is not affected.

I read an article posted on Ozzu about downloading the upgrade service packs for Windows 2000. Evertyime i do this i get the dreaded blue screen error stating;

[ ***STOP: 0x0000007B (0x827B1030, 0xC000014F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this stop eroor screen, restart your computer. etc. ]

Once this screen comes up there is absolutely nothing i can do except reinstall Windows 2000 again. This means i have 3 different Windows 2000 OS on my hard drive all at my start up choice. I have installed Windows 2000 5 or more times already and would really like some help to cfix this problem as i need to do some college work. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could it be that your going online or connecting your machine to a network before you install this firewall? This would give you an immediate infection if another local machine has the virus. Try removing any network leads until you've got your firewall installed!

Also when installing service packs, if you get a message about it overwriting vendor installed drivers click no. This can overwrite SCSI drivers (if you have a SCSI drive?) thus rendering the system unbootable.

Personally with regard to installing service packs, I would download the full service pack (4 now isnt it for 2000?) from someone elses PC and burn it to a disc, then use that to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/do ... efault.asp

Choose network install to get the whole thing.

Just a thought

S
  • Norrister
  • Born
  • Born
  • Norrister

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i needed to go online to download the Firewall. But once i did that i scanned my drive with Norton and it deleted 2viruses.

Also it doesn't bring up a message about overwriting vendor installed drivers. Why is microsoft like this!!!
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your still suffering i'd also try and get the firewall burnt to a disc and get that installed before you go online.

S
  • Norrister
  • Born
  • Born
  • Norrister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice, i think ill try that soon. I just wanted to say i downloaded Ad-Aware and it found all the worms etc. on my system. It then says 21 in use...i guess these are the multiple processes of svchost.exe... do u think if i disconnect from the net and try delete them it'll work?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts