windows 2000 stop error

• jimmyrules712
  • Born
  • Born
  • jimmyrules712

Post 3+ Months Ago

on a gateway machine im trying to fix up, running WIN2000, im getting a stop error when i try to turn it on, before it loads windows.

it was getting into windows fine, then i downloaded service pack 4 (it had never been updated), i instaleld it, the machine rebooted, and now this stop error thats not letting me get into windows. I tried running in safe mode, and every other mode option it gives you, all come to the same error. It says Stop, then a code, then something about not being able to find a DLL and somehting about a dynamic link library. Its hard for me to get the exact message because it only displays it for a couple seconds then reboots again.

any ideas how i can fix this other then formatting?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please post the exact error.
  • jimmyrules712
  • Born
  • Born
  • jimmyrules712

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant, it only shows it for approx 1 to 2 seconds, and then the computer reboots. Is there anyway of freezing the screen on it?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try hittin' the pause button.. sometimes that'll work
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes that may work. If not try to get it as close as you can...even if you have to reboot a few times to write it down. Without it, it will be extremely difficult to troubleshoot the problem. In the meantime, it would probably be quicker for you to just reinstall everything again. You'd probably have that done quicker than trying to find an ellusive answer.
  • JeredCain
  • JeredCain

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds a lot like the problem I had, and never got to fix, it must be the 0x00...7B error, it is caused, according to what I read on Microsoft.com, due to some sort weird process windows2000 does once it gets the service pack in which it can't retrieve the information off an outdated BIOS, so the only way is to get a BIOS upgrade, Microsoft never mentions anything about 'solving this issue on a future SP' so they are implying 'We don't give a damn if you have an old BIOS, we don't have time to loose with your petty problems', I'd recommend http://www.esupport.com but they charge you, my BIOS update would have costed 25 bucks, but since I'm not willing to pay that, I'm just going to format and reinstall Win2k, probably you could do that too, unless anyone can think of something better?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering, how would you be able to update the BIOS if you can't get into windows at all, is there a way you can just boot the update from a floppy or cd drive?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts