Windows 2000 is using Slave drive as System Root

• scimitar
  • Born
  • Born
  • scimitar

Post 3+ Months Ago

I’m using Windows 2000 SP4. I wanted to make a backup copy of my hard drive that I could switch over to in the event of a primary hard drive failure.

I used Drive Copy to make a copy of my primary hard drive and inserted the new slave drive in a removable carriage. The idea was that I could now use Vice Versa Pro (a file synchronization program) to keep my files on the secondary up to date with my files on the primary – in the event of a hard drive failure (or theft of the PC) I could just insert my slave hard drive and carry on as normal. I planned to perform a drive copy each month to keep the windows/program files up to date with my primary hard drive.

Everything went fine Windows see’s both drives and the file synchronisation software keeps my files current on both drives. About a day after performing this task I noticed that My Computer wasn’t showing my DVD-ROM or CDRW, I checked the BIOS and they’re both listed in there – in Device Manager, Windows was flagging these drives as having a Driver problem – I removed them and re-booted but the same problem re-occurred.

Thinking that the problem was due to the new Slave drive I switched off and removed the slave drive and then re-booted – Windows wouldn’t reboot claiming that the Page File was missing. I switched off and re-inserted the Slave drive – rebooted and went into the Advanced Tab of the System properties – everything was using the slave drive (my “F:\” drive)(well it was stating “System Root” as the F:\ drive). I re-addressed everything back to the C:\ drive but starting without the F:\ drive brings up the same error about missing or insufficient Page File.

Now I can’t start the PC without the Slave drive being present and I still don’t have access to my DVD or CDRW. How can I tell the PC to only use the C:\ drives windows files?

Please help I’m going nuts trying to figure this out!
:(
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The simplest fix that I can think of is buy a PCI RAID card and run RAID-1. Just make sure your two drives are the same size. But to do that I beleive you would need to format and re-install everything for the RAID to mirror your C: drive. I'll look into how to fix your problem but if you are willing to do a format I would get a RAID controller and do it that way.
  • scimitar
  • Born
  • Born
  • scimitar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Grinch

A RAID controller would mirror my primary hard drive and do everything I want but I was trying to do the same job "on the cheap" and without having to reinstall any software - If all else fails I will go down the RAID route but for now I just want to make my PC operate from the main Primary drive without needing the Slave drive present.

Thank you though for your quick reply.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to the website for that program you are using and for some reason got a bad vibe about it. The FAQ was useless and nothing on the site about tech support except an e-mail. So I am curious as to what kind of support you would get from them. I would e-mail them or call them if you can and see what they say about it. It could be a problem with the software causing this.
  • scimitar
  • Born
  • Born
  • scimitar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a note to let you know that I gave up trying to sort out my dodgy slave drive and this weekend I wiped and re-installed all my software on my primary drive and the slave drive is now simply a Backup for Files.

I still don't exactly what caused the problem but I think it was sonrthing to do with "Drive Copy" hiding the primary partition stuff when it wasn't supposed to - nevermind all fixed now

Thanks for your help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts