Windows 2003 Server Font Color on file names

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed for a while that when i brows the files on my windows 2003 file server that the file names are in blue. I don’t know what this means the files still work and are normal It is probably something meaning that there is a copy some ware but I don’t know. It is not too big of a hassle but I would like to know what is going on. Any ideas?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about 2003 but with Windows XP, blue is the default color for compressed files.

It's probably the same for 2003. If you right click on on a file of folder, select properties and then select advanced, there is an option to compress the file or contents of the folder. Such files will have their names appear in blue.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey JrzyCrim great job i did it and that was exacally it i have to go throught the whole file server and uncompress every users server space. I am not sure how this happen but no big deal. Thanks Now i feel Dumb :oops:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great! I was guessing it would be the same for 2003. Is the whole drive/partition compressed or just certain files? If so, you should be able to right click on the drive icon to do the whole lot in one go. If it's just certain folders, then you can select all of the folders which are compressed and do the same.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it is a Domain Controller/File Server with a folder named the “user and followed by Server space” and when the logon scrip executes the folder is brought to the client and i just right clicked on the drive compressed which it is doing now then when it is done i am going to uncompress it. The time it is taking to compress is at 27 hours but that is the easiest way of right now. It is random files that are compressed so it would be a great deal of grief to go through every file and right click then advanced and so on.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, I see. Yes, it would be a pain to manually decompress individual files.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts