windows 2003 server

• romio
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • romio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do I need to install any firewalls under windows 2003 server, if yes, what do you recommend?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I vaguely remember. windows 2003 comes with a simple built in firewall same as xp.

Right click on the network card and select Properties.
click the advanced tab and select "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet".

but if you attach it directly to the internet and some one really wants to hack you, its likely you'll get 0wned pretty quick.

I think the recommended option is to download and run ISA server which is the full microsoft firewall for that product. (feel free to correct me if if i've got any of the above wrong).

Personally I always recommend a proper hardware firewall to seperate your systems from the internet. it does'nt have to cost the earth, I run the opensource IPCOP http://www.ipcop.org on an old 486 which works fantastically well.

cheers
Chris
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are running a network, you should definitely invest in a hardware firewall. I like the Cisco Pix that we use at work. I've never been impressed with the MS built-in firewall. Causes more problems than it's worth.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, I agree with ATNO, you should never trust MS firewall and better invest in some hardware. If you have a home network try some Linksys NAT router or some of their firewalls for small home office networks. I 've been using it for 4 years now and never had a problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts