Windows XP -- no accounts listed on login screen

• grandchampion
  • Born
  • Born
  • grandchampion
  • Loc: New York, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an old machine that I seldom use, but the other day booted it up to access a couple of old files. When I started Windows, everything booted up fine until I came to the XP welcome screen, where I typically choose which user to log in under.

This time, however, the blue screen comes up with the XP graphic on the right hand side, but there are no users to click on. Typically there are two to choose from, but there is just a blank blue space on the left now. I can't get past this screen to get into Windows. I tried to start up the machine in Safe Mode, but got the same result.

I'd appreciate any input into how to defeat this problem. Thanks in advance.

- GC
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that a repair install will fix this without losing any data, unless someone comes along with a better idea

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, if this problem you are having grandchampion has been of late then vladdrac is correct in his solution. in addition to that, you can use a repair utility that xp has to offer. when your machine boots up initially, as soon as you turn on the power, hit any key continously. eventually there will be a utility that loads itself and it will let you select many different options. however, the key one basically says something to the effect of : LOAD or START WINDOWS WITH LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. select that one and you should be fine
  • rokam
  • Born
  • Born
  • rokam

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually I'm with the same problem and I've tried to restore the last config... but the same happen...

And the key is F8

How can I get over it?

I cannot access this page:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Thanks for helping...
  • robo
  • Born
  • Born
  • robo

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the last 2 months I had this problem three times with Win XP Pro on different notebooks HP nx9010.
First they run three, four weeks normally. Then once, when the notebook is switched on, it boots up, as usual, into the welcome screen and... no user accounts any more.

The only thing that has helped was to reinstall WinXP.... :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts