Windows and Linux

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone help explain how to set up a dual boot so that I can run windowsXP and Linux. Or, more preferrably, can I run WindowsXP as a shelf program from Linux? I looked here and on Google, and have also posted the same topic on another forum but have had no luck so far.

A simple explanation and some tips would be much appreciated! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not certain you can do the latter (and I think you mean shell? correct?)

I am sure you can do the former with System Commander. I've posted the link several times, but I'll do it again. Linux and XP are both supported in the multi-boot:

http://www.v-com.com/

In the past I have had DOS6.2 Win98Se Win2k server and Redhat 8 on 4 partitions using System Commander.

At work I currently have XP and Win2K and am sure I could add Linux back in, but not necesary at the moment.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should check out the Linux forum on Ozzu and this one as well:
http://justlinux.com/

If you now which distrubution of Linux you are going to install, I'm sure someone in the Linux forum will be able to offer some good advice.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, thanks guys. Ive been looking around a little harder and I think that Ive found what I need. If I need any other advice Ill post in the Linux forum.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's a clean drive, make two partitions, then install windowsXP to the C partition, then install linux to the other partion after installing windows (most linux distros accept the fact that a lot of people dual boot, while windows pretends linux doesn't exist) whil installing it should detect the windows partition and you should be able to make your second partition into a linux one and take off a little space for a swap drive, I have heard to make your swap partition twice your ram, the same amount of space as your ram, or just 128... depends on how much HD space you have.

Linux should also install a boot manager so you can pick which OS to boot up on start up.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool, thanks. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts