my Windows XP Clients disappear from my server list. Urgent!

• ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva
  • Loc: kh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear All,

I met a serious problem, my server run on a Windows 2k advance server sp4 as a domain controller and i have 15 clients run windows xp sp1a

recently, when i want to ping from my server to the clients it can not ping, but my clients can ping to the server. click on the network nieghborhood on the server, it dont display anything even if itseft. but i can ping to my server it server and use UNC to itself, it is workin fine.

all the clients' name are in the AD and DNS list.

any help would be appreciating.
thanks
ineedu4eva (krisna)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

They probably have the XP firewall turned on. Turn off the XP firewall on the clients and you should be back in business. I had this same problem with the one XP machine on my network and that's all it was.
  • ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear ATNO/TW,

thanks FYI,

i just with my staff already, he dont the turn on firewall.
my another office is 300 km far from.
  • ineedu4eva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ineedu4eva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear all,

i found the problem is due to the miss configuration of the NICs on my server, i notice when i ping to the servername it reply the external ip address instead of internal one. (it setup by another man.)

my LAN here just has changed the internection connection to use DSL instead of wireless broadband. my ISP agent had come to configure it. The server has two NICs (LinkPro NICs), it display RealTech...#2 and RealTec.... so the guy configure the RealTech... .#2 to hold the external ip which receive the ip from dsl dailup connection and the RealTech... to hold the internal IP. After finished it didnot have any problem(logon script working fine, clients can access sharing resource from the server.)

The effection of the mistake: most of the time it was working fine, but it just had problem only a moment before i posted.

I had not noticed by remote control yet, untill i came here yesterday.

after reconfigure NICs setting it working fine.

thanks. :-)
ineedu4eva(krisna)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts