Windows Copy Folders Quietly

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do all Windows backups/copies all have to display the cmd prompt?

I used to do quite a bit of batch work and so I needed a backup script and thought it would work nicely to just copy some files from my local disk to my network share. It does but the command prompt comes up and while I use the /Q option the best I could do to run that script unobtrusively was to add a line of code to task it. I found some tools that required to copy over to the WINDOWS folder and then some other installing which I guess I didn't do right cause it didn't work. I searched for this but have yet to find an easy way to hide the command prompt when running a bat file.

So, I knew of an XP Sync powertoy which I installed and configured to run as a scheduled task. However, it too brings up the cmd prompt when it runs. What's the deal? Is there a windows xp copy tool or language that can run in the background?

Some users could have a lot of data which could take a little while to copy and I don't want the prompt in their way as they continue to work.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to with Powershell 2. It introduced PSJob which can run powershell jobs asynchronously in the background.

I haven't used Powershell to a large degree so I can't give you a specific how to, but that should lead you in the direction you want to go. The powershell commandlet for copy is copy-item
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. That's the type of info I'm looking for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts