Windows could not start because the following file is missin

• lbrinin
  • lbrinin
  • Loc: Tampa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
I am sorry if this is similar to other postings please let me explain
The system is a PIII 500 with two partitions both win2k a small C: and a larger D: partition
I get this message and cannot boot into D: partition but C boots ok. I ran sfc and Repair both Fast and Manual and D is still unbootable
I tried RC but the owner of the machine does not know/remember his administrator password
I even sent him a copy of my ntoskrnl.exe file and he put it in system32 folder got the file already exists thing, said yes and it's there but when I try to boot D I get the same message
Should I try booting his windows 2000 system with a 98 boot cd and try the fdisk /mbr????? I don't want to lose the little I have there
OR should I try expand or extract ntoskrnl from the 2000 cd?
I am stumped, is it possible that the system wont' recognize the file ntoskrnl.exe if the file attributes are not set on system and read only?? IS that it? I could check that later
Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!
Lewis Brinin
lbrinin@earthlink.net
  • StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

This does not work most of the time but pop in a win 2k cd and run the repair, if that will not work repair the boot sector from the recovery console.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can try simply reinstalling windows over top of the existing copy as well.
  • lbrinin
  • lbrinin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I mentioned I could NOT get into Repair console because the person that owns the computer cannot remember or does not know his administrator password. Ok I called it RC
Is there a way around this, can I try the fdisk /mbr option or would that not work. Would installing windows on windows assuming I could figure it out, mean he would have to reinstall all his apps?
Is there is a trick to get into rc without a password?
Thanks
Lewis
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are 3rd party utilities to reset the password, but none that I know of that are "legitimately" free. The other problem that you will face if you try to reinstall Windows overtop of the existing one is that it will retain the existing administrative password. Unless you're willing to invest several bucks into 3rd party utilities, the only other option is to start from scratch.
  • StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I must have over read that fact. There is a piece of software call passkiller 200/xp (I think that is the name) it will let you edit/view all of the passwords for the os. Try to google it.
  • lbrinin
  • lbrinin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks I will look for it
In the mean time I got another hard drive installed 2000 on it and tried transfering stuff over but programs do not work only data files pictures etca so there is not much difference between having installed windows on windows and buying the new hard drive I guess
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

doing a repair is different then going to the repair console. see here:
http://forums.winxpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=4102

you do it the same for 2000
  • lbrinin
  • lbrinin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your posting, yes I am aware of the differences. I tried the fast as well as the manual repair and it claimed to have found and fixed dozens of files including ntoskrnl and yet the partition was and is still unbootable with exactly the same error message that I quoted earlier
Is there some way to get all that's usable from the old hard drive to the new one in such a way that the applications work without re installation? I tried just one by dragging its folder to the new drive that I installed on that machine but nothing would work and there was no setup file
THanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts