Windows could not start because the following file is missin

• hope
  • Born
  • Born
  • hope

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all I need help. every time I start windows I get this sign
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I was away for about a week and i let my friend use my PC, then when I got back I found out my PC was not working
and every time I started PC I keept getting this sign and windows wouldn't boot

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

my friend told me that he did download some files but none of the files had viruses but, knowing my friend he probly
downloaded some virus by insedent he also said it was a very bad lightning storm that day.

I need help to fix the problem and find out what caused this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your registry is corrupted.

This is the only way to fix it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

It's a bit complicated if you don't know what you're doing, but it does work. Just follow the instructions EXACTLY as detailed. If you aren't sure you can do it try to find somebody experienced with computers to do it for you.
  • hope
  • Born
  • Born
  • hope

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thx il try it but whats the cause of this?
virus?? storm?? hacker?? what?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last three times I came across it, it was because of a power failure. Other things could cause it I suppose, but in your case would be nearly impossible to tell

Please pay attention to the warning in the instructions:
Quote:
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

OEM installed operating system, would be where Windows came installed from the factory (like Dell or Gateway, or HP for example).

Only use this method if you installed XP from your own XP installation disk.

Otherwise you will have to reinstall Windows.
  • Ofario
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ofario

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are plenty of regcleaning utilities, you may use them to fix your problem!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ofario wrote:
There are plenty of regcleaning utilities, you may use them to fix your problem!

How are they going to use a regcleaning utility when the registry is corrupted and they can't even boot the computer to run it? This isn't a matter of getting rid of unnecessary unwanted things in the registry. It's a corrupted registry that needs fixed. There isn't a regcleaning utility out there that will take care of this problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts