Windows 7 RC download available

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
This is pre-release software, so please read the following to get an idea of the risks and key things you need to know before you try the RC.

* You don’t need to rush to get Windows 7 RC. The RC release will be available at least through June 2009 and we’re not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time.
* Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows).
* Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don’t test Windows 7 RC on your primary home or business PC.
* Technical details/updates: Before installing the RC please read the Release Notes, and Things to Know for important information about the release.
* Keep up with the news. You can keep up with general technical information and news by following the Springboard Series blog or Windows team blog. Want technical guidance, tips, and tools? Visit the Springboard Series on TechNet.
* Keep your PC updated: Be sure turn on automatic updates in Windows Update in case we publish updates for the RC.

Quote:
Here’s what you need to have:

* Internet access (to download Windows 7 RC and get updates)
* A PC with these minimum recommended specifications:
- 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor or higher
- 1 GB of system memory or more
- 16 GB of available disk space
- Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
- DVD-R/W Drive
Please note these specifications could change. And, some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of "touch," may require advanced or additional hardware.

Download:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... ID=tnflash
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it a few days earlier through TechNet. I installed it yesterday on a Dell Inspiron 1521 and it runs like a champ. The laptop has a 1.8 Ghz AMD X2 and 2GB of RAM. Very stable and smooth. I haven't noticed much difference between Beta1 and RC1 though. I'm not using the laptop for much. At the moment just using it for a website redesign using Wampserver. I've watched a couple of movies on it as well and no problems.
  • dominic_76
  • Born
  • Born
  • dominic_76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, grinch. Just a comment. I've also installed it on a on a Dell Inspiron 1521. But I haven't noticed much difference in performance between it and Vista.
I've found a pretty annoying bug, though. When I installed it, it detected my video card (ATI) and automatically downloaded the drivers. I've disabled sleep and hibernation. When I close the computer's lid, the screen doesn't turn off (it eventually turns off due to inactivity after a few minutes). When I open the lid again, the screen won't turn on again (the computer keeps working, though, and I have to restart it in order to turn the screen on again). Do you have the same problem?

Oh, and another question. Which antivirus would you recommend?

Thanks.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard that it will be good for students to start learning to use it. Well, reason is companies may start using it later and you are then equipped with good Windows skills?

I found it confusing because there have always been complaints about Windows later editions.

Anyway, I am using Vista and I seldom face much problems that I cannot handle. I am satisfied. :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

dominic_76 wrote:
Hey, grinch. Just a comment. I've also installed it on a on a Dell Inspiron 1521. But I haven't noticed much difference in performance between it and Vista.
I've found a pretty annoying bug, though. When I installed it, it detected my video card (ATI) and automatically downloaded the drivers. I've disabled sleep and hibernation. When I close the computer's lid, the screen doesn't turn off (it eventually turns off due to inactivity after a few minutes). When I open the lid again, the screen won't turn on again (the computer keeps working, though, and I have to restart it in order to turn the screen on again). Do you have the same problem?

Oh, and another question. Which antivirus would you recommend?

Thanks.

I have noticed a significant increase in performance compared to Vista. Vista ran pretty well on the laptop but Win7 seems much more responsive. When I close the lid it locks the desktop and when I open the lid it comes on just fine. I downloaded the video driver from Dell so I am not sure if that would make a difference.

I don't use antivirus so I can't really recommend one for you. I think they are pretty much useless most of the time.
  • dominic_76
  • Born
  • Born
  • dominic_76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Grinch. I don't know why it's slower than Vista on my Dell.

Which drivers have you downloaded from Dell and which ones from Windows Update?
Have you tweaked any option in order to improve the system performance?

Thanks again.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't gone to Windows Update yet. The only driver I downloaded from Dell was the video driver. I tried the NIC drivers but they didn't work.

I'm running 64-bit and I haven't made any performance related tweaks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts