windows freezing/crashing... can I get a hand here?

• panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all -

So I built my first computer about a year ago. here's the specs:

biostar M7NCG 500 Socket A with Nvidia nForce2 IGP chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
512 Ram
80Gig Seagate HDD
Windows XP Home Edition
(this is a micro atx case with a low profile if it matters)

That's pretty much it (dvd/cd-rw drive as well)

So here's what happened. Obviously the on-board video card sucked so I bought a 3DForceFX 5200 Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card.

I'm not sure if it is this card or not, but my computer will just freeze. I tried to update the driver from the Nvidia site, but that actually did destroy my computer (or it happened at the same time)

So I have a very fresh install of XP, and tonight when I came home the whole computer was frozen. I had to manually restart, which caused it to stall twice again and not restart. I waited about 10 minutes and it started in "last good" mode or whatever.

So - I did some investigation - here are the interesting points:

1. If I go to system properties, my computer thinks it has an AMD Athlon XP1900+
2. I am concerned about the video card b/c this happened after I installed it - but WAAAY after I installed it.
3. Could it be the temp? my computer is very small and has only one fan.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to have to buy a new pc and I don't want to spend a lot of money trying "this and that" at a lot of cash per pop...

Thanks a ton!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

To make the diagnosis, after it shuts down and boots back up, go into BIOS and check your temperatures in ÂșC. Please post them here afterwards.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

37 C
98 F

thanks
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a classic case of "I don't clean the inside of my PC often enough"

Are you 101% sure it was a 2500+ ? I haven't heard of processors changing their story in a long time.

Give the inside of the case a good cleaning with canned air, it may be to the point of needing to take it apart piece-by-piece to do so by the sounds of it.

In a low-profile case, with a single fan, it's likely the video card is getting too hot & causing the freeze. (specially if it's not spotless)

Cutting a hole in the side of the case (directly over the video card) & mounting a fan blowing air out may be a good idea.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can definitely clean my case. I'm 200% sure about the processor. I even took out my sales receipt to make sure. my video card has a fan on it, but I can try to make some more air circulation. when i feel the air coming from the side of the case, it is warm, but not hot....

what could the messed up processor be?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

To fix the processor problem you will need to update your BIOS.

My friend built a machine (with my help) when the 2400+ was brand new and when we put it together the computer said it was an 1800 or something like that. I went to the motherboard webpage and downloaded the latest BIOS and installed it and once rebooted the PC was recognizing the actual processor speed.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll give that a go!
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok -

so i was going to upgrade my bios, but don't have a 3.5" drive, which is needed to do this. I did check my FSB speed in the bios and switched it to 166 (I have a 333 FSB CPU).

I also cleaned the crap out of it with compressed air as joebert recommended. It was pretty dusty in there.

My computer will still freeze periodically. is this a mobo issue? or a heat issue? when it freezes it is at about 39-43 degrees Centigrade. Is that considered hot?

I tried to download speedfan, but that program could not find a chipset or anything, which makes me nervous b/c it was working fine before my computer crashed.

any ideas about this one?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts