Windows Install Options

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having internet issues, and am wanting to do a "fresh" windows install.

Issues (just FYI): mswindows-forum/interesting-network-conundrum-choppy-laggy-connection-t107790.html

I also just bought a new SSD, so I want to move my OS over to the SSD, and dont really care about any files or settings (everything is backed up on a thumb drive).

Best Case scenario (for me):
- Wipe current HD
- Pull it out, install my new SSD
- Stick in my Windows 7 DVD, install fresh.
- Reinstall blank HD for extra storage.

Potential issues:
- Windows 7 DVD is an upgrade for Windows Vista (which I do not think I have).

Other options:

One thought was to do the "repair" install on the current HD, where it wipes it all down to basics, then try to get it transferred over to the SSD somehow.

Another thought: IF (big if) I can find my Vista DVD, I should be able to install Vista fresh on my SSD, then just use the 7 Upgrade DVD as it was intended, correct?

Anyone have any other thoughts/options?

Thanks in advance :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will need to install Vista first, then run the upgrade in order to do a clean install. You won't be able to do a full Win 7 install since it's an upgrade license.

If you go the route of the repair install, or restoring from a system image, once you have it to where you are happy with it, you could use a third party imaging software such as Acronis, and image it to a NAS and then do a bare metal recovery on the new drive.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/pr ... trueimage/ is the product I'm referring to. It's $50 US. But might be worth it and save you some headaches.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a great link, and a viable option.

I did a little more research and discovered that the student discounted version of Windows 7 32-bit is actually a full version (yay!).

New problem: Installed it last night, put in the product key I had written down from Microsoft and it didnt work. Ug. Does Microsoft allow you to contact them and request the same/new product key if you give them a serial number or somthing?

Otherwise I may just crack it (to my ever loving shame, but I did pay for it) until I can buy a full version of Windows 8 (assuming its not crap).

Worst case I may just wipe out the SSD and image over the old HD (as ATNO suggests). It was just super nice to see the fresh install and the Programs list in control panel nearly empty (fresh installs just smell so CLEAN :D)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts