Windows XP Installation Keeps On Restarting

• Anthony1709
  • Anthony1709

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I'm trying to install Windows XP Home Edition.

So I turn on my computer, and it boots to the CD, and goes to the setup, start of the installation. So it asks me what I want to do. So I click enter, as I want to install windows xp, then I agree terms, skip the partition part, and it starts to install. It says its copying files. Then after the bar hits 100%, it tells me its going to restart in 15 seconds.

So once it restarts it should go the windows xp home edition and start installing, and tells you how great xp is while installing. But instead it goes right to the beginning of the installation again. You know the blue screen, where you have to agree to their terms, and you can partition your drive.

It keep on doing this.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, do you remove the CD like it tells you to do? or if you leave the CD in during reboot, do you hit the "any key" to boot from CD like you shouldn't do? I think therein is your problem.
  • Anthony1709
  • Anthony1709

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

No thats not the problem. I'm not stupid.

Its not because the CD is in it, firstly it shouldn't make a difference if it is in it or not, anyway I have done it may times before with the CD in, and it installs fine.

But thanks anyway.
  • Anthony1709
  • Anthony1709

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I just figure out that the problem is nothing to do with the hard drive. This because I connect it to my desktop, and it works fine, and I install Windows XP on it fine.

So it must be something wrong with my laptop.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done dozens of installs of a wide range of Windows OSs Anthony, and clearly understand what you're saying, but I still feel it has to be somewhat related to what I was suggesting before. I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence or abilities, but logically it has to be related. Normally, if you leave the disk in the drive windows is going to ask you to hit any key if you want to boot from disc, which you obviously know is not what you want to do on this install, but it's still doing it anyway on your laptop, which rightly is not what you expect to be happening. My theory is that in your CMOS setup you have the CD set up as your 1st boot device and your hard drive as your second. (If you have a floppy, that may be in there as well either first or second which would then make your hard drive third). At any rate it seems like your laptop is skipping the option to let you skip booting to CD when the CD is in the drive and is just automatically doing it. So if you know the files are installed, then before you reboot remove the CD to test the theory. If you still have the problem, then it's a problem that I have never heard of and have no clue what else to suggest.
  • Anthony1709
  • Anthony1709

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I got my laptop to work. I thought it was something to do with my BIOS.

So I went to my BIOS, and selected load default settings, once I did that it was fine, XP installed fine.

But I do have other question, I install my laptop hard drive to my desktop to see if my hard drive was working. To test it, I try installing windows XP Home Edition. It work. But now I have removed the laptop hard drive.

But when my computer starts it still asks me if I want to go to Home Edition or Pro.

How do I get rid of this? Is it something to do with the registry?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good! glad that's resolved for you.

As far as your other question.
No, it sounds to me like you installed XP Pro at one time or another on the disc. Instead of partitioning the entire disk and formatting the whole thing it sounds as if you installed XP Home on a second partition (or whatever the remaining space was), or more likely over top of XP Pro. That's the only reason that would explain why it's asking you to choose. It's basically what's refered to as a dual boot. One way to get rid of it is elliminate the partition you don't want (if you indeed have two partitions with two versions of XP, or reformat the entire disk and start from scratch. I've had as many as 4 OS's installed this way and it won't hurt anything other than taking up a bit of extra hard drive space.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( I have run into a similar, but different problem. On my laptop, which runs Windows XP, a small Windows Installer window keeps popping up and prepares to install. Thing is, I have not had a Windows installation disk in my CD drive for about a week. So, I can't figure out why it is doing this when it has no CD to relate to. (I've rebooted my laptop MANY times and have cleared my cache, run Systemworks tools, etc.) Thanks. :D
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Load BIOS defaults... I'd guess that changed the boot device order (thinking of ATNOs original suggestion).
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. Will give it a look next time I boot up.
  • Dombur
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dombur

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anthony1709,
Look on your c: Drive you will find a file called boot.ini it is a hidden file so you may want to use windows file and folder search to find it. Once found and you have it open you will see:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

or

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you see multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition->(2)<-\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

with a (2) in the partition area as point in the above you do indeed have 2 active partitions.

or

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition->(1)<-\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
Meaning you only have one partition.

If your harddrive only has one active partition and/or is the Home edition
remove the line with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
You must remove this whole line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

to remove this listing from the windows OS boot menu.

:arrow: Be sure to back up this file before doing any editing :!:

Once you have remove the line stating Microsoft Windows XP Professional
You will nolong see the boot menu.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. Fascinating fix.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts