Windows keeps rebooting itself?

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a "windows update" for hardware, software & critical updates. Then as it asked, I rebooted my system and left the room. When I came back to the computer about an hour later, it was in a reboot sequence. As I sat and watched, it would load windows, get to the windows screen, I'd see my desktop and when I tried to move the mouse, it was frozen. A few seconds later, my system would reboot. It would continue to do this until I manually shut it off. This was last night.

Today, I turned on the computer and once again it continued to reboot itself once it was loaded into windows. I did click "delete" when prompted at the boot up screen and tried to go to the last working copy of windows in the options screen but the computer would not respond to me clicking on the up arrow to hit that option. Instead it continued the countdown to load windows manually which of course, would just reboot once again. I'm sure it's some kind of glitch with an update I did last night but now I"m really lost on what to do. HELP!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's just one more example why I don't do updates. Those critical updates put your machine in critical condition.

Try F8 and pick safe mode. If you're lucky enough to get in, go to the system properties, advanced, startup and recovery and uncheck automatic restart.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, once you've done that, check your event logs to see what's causing the problem. (Start -> Run -> events.msc)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the help guys but I had already tried hitting F8 and tried picking safe mode but it won't let me! :( the keyboard arrows don't seem to work on that screen to pick the option for safe mode, it won't budge from "start windows normally"

spork - I don't have enough time to do that. I get as far as clicking on start and then it reboots. SUCKS!

I should have never done those stupid updates never again :( I just hope there is a way to get this issue fixed cos I have important things saved in my outlook and I can't even get them out of there!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a long shot. Go into the BIOS and reset it to defaults.

Otherwise, there is a way to take the HD out and connect it to another machine through USB. Let me know if you want to try that.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's a good idea. I'm going to try that tomorrow when I get home from work (yea I know I suck for working a half day on NYE) and let you know if it works thanks!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have yet to have a problem with Windows Updates. Not sure what the exact problem could be at this point.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well whatever the problem, my fiancé somehow fixed it. I got home yesterday morning from the gym and it was working! :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ask him how he resolved the problem and let us know.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts