Windows Live Mail spam block

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been using "Windows Live Mail" as my email provider, i use it to retrieve all the emails from every email address i have except Yahoo. Recently however i've been getting a crap load of Spam filtering through into my inbox which as you can imagine is a bit of a pain.

The problem isn't so much the fact the spam is filtering through, it's the fact that despite the fact i know the "sender" name i cannot seem to block emails from that sender at all. I'll do the usual "Junk" button at the top but all this does is blocks the email address i have received the email from and the "sender" is sending from hundreds of email addresses.

Any idea how i can go about blocking just the name of the sender? there doesn't even appear to be an area where i can create a rule which i find pretty odd, so it's not as if i can redirect emails from that sender straight to my junk folder.

I feel i should stress that it's "Windows Live Mail" and not "Windows Mail", there is a difference.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

To block senders domain windows live mail

Right click a message>junk email>Add sender's domain (...) to blocked senders list
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, i've been doing this with the same email however it won't block the senders name. Because each and every email address is different the domain changes...so that has no effect.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

*bump*

Seems to be even more intense now. Incredibly frustrating.
  • mariobros64
  • Born
  • Born
  • mariobros64

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Windows Live Mail, you can press alt+M and choose safety options then select Safe List Only. This will block all emails from senders not in your contacts or safe senders list. To add safe senders or domains, choose the safe senders tab in the safety options dialog box. I don't know if this will block spam sent to non-live/hotmail/msn email accounts (ex: gmail), but any spam sent to live/hotmail/msn accounts should be blocked.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent reply mariobros. I really appreciate this.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess this means any future mail I send to SB will be blocked lol
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, only way i'd be doing that is if it just filtered the email to my spam box. In which case i'd be particular on checking that more often until i know all the regular emailers are being sent to that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts