windows media player will not download codecs for avi movie

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

windows media player 9 will not download codecs for avi movie
is there a fix or a small player under 2 mg that i can get it to play it?
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
I had the same problem with that. Surprisingly, the codecs you need arent even offered by Microsoft. Check out this site and download the codec pack.

http://doa2.host.sk/codecs/

I hope this helps.

-The Maven
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that would depend on the Codec, there are some codecs that aren't endorsed by Micro$oft, or that they're simply not allowed to distribute (DivX, XViD, Mpeg2 Codecs, etc).

So some will require a separate download.

Maven : Is there a reason you feel the need to colour all your posts? It's VERY hard to read in high resolutions. Can't you just use the default like everybody else?
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

I apologize for trying to be an individual. I'll use this color from now on, ok?

- The Maven
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for lowering yourself to our level :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Off-topic

No prob with trying to be an individual Maven...It's just the Red you've been using doesn't work well with this color theme. There is a test forum where you can try different colors (I'm sure you can find it)....I'm surprised it didn't annoy you as much as it did us. THe Red is just not a good choice. That's all.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's alright, now that i think about it, it probably wasnt the best choice of color. No hard feelings. :)

- The Maven
  • Ender22
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ender22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
If it could be helpful for someone, here are links to liable usefull codecs not provided by Microsoft :
-- MPEG2 : <a href="http://www.elecard.com/download/#mpeg2decoder">Elecard free MPEG2 codec</a>. The most famous free MPEG2 codec. (Note that MPEG2 codecs are automatically installed with most DVD Players (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc. But Ok, they are not free... :D)
-- DivX and Xvid : I strongly recommend FFDshow, a very good OpenSource codec pack you can find here : <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/">FFDshow Codecs</a>. Be aware that corrupted codecs could be very painfull to uninstall...

If you want a video player more friendly than WMP, try <a href="http://www.hyplay.com">Hyplay</a>, it's a free avi player with a hallucinating user interface (for design fans only... :shock: )
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem, and i have divx installed and it did not make any better, later i installed klite, and then i had no problems.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i really like light alloy multimedia player. You can download it off easily. Just search on the web for it.

it's very light on the resource usage and it's surprisingly fast.

For codecs, although I've heard some people complain about it, I like to use gordian knot (or something like that) it has all the possible codecs that you will probably use. Including Xvids. I think it comes with fddshow? I'm not sure though.

I've given up trying to download codec through media player. The file is just not on the place they are looking. So pathetic.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts