Windows XP Networking/Wireless Problem

• Tyvai
  • Tyvai
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Morning all

Here is my problem. When I lived in my old apartment I had 2 computers hooked up sharing a cable modem and my networking was ok. The 2 computers could see each others shared drives and copy information back and forth. When I moved to my new home I not only added 2 computers ( Laptop and Desktop) but had to change to wireless due to the nature of the house. The situation now is this

Computer 1. Main Office Cabled to the Buffalo Wireless router.
Computer 2. Desktop Upstairs Also Cabled to Wireless Router.
Computer 3. Desktop Upstairs wireless and connected
Computer 4. Laptop running Wireless.

Now the situation is the internet runs fine for everyone we all have access but NO ONE can see shared drives or any other computer at all. I have flushed and restored all of the systems with no change. Im thinking that im missing a setting in the router or Im not setting up XP Networking correctly. Im Using a Buffalo WBR-G54 Wireless Router The Desktop and laptop that are wireless are also using buffalo wireless cards. All 3 ( 2 computers and The Router ) have indoor antenna's on them.

Im pulling my hair out trying to get this to work i can browse or share printers nothing. Ive gone as far as my technical knowledge will take me so Im asking for help. Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance
Marc Rivkin
ctsboss@msn.com
marc.rivkin@zones.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure all computers are part of the same workgroup. If any of the computers are Windows 98 or ME make sure File and Print sharing is enabled in Network properties.
  • Tyvai
  • Tyvai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes All the computers are in the "WORKGROUP" and All the systems are XP Pro patched updated etc.

M
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do yo have Norton internet secureity installed on each computer if so it limits the computer from seeing each other. I had this problem with a friend and disabled the internet secureity and everything was great.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

check the XP firewall, make sure it's disabled on each computer. This also blocks you from seeing other computers on a network.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Completely agreed with UNLUX on the Firewall thing. The user could ping any computer on the network...but I couldn't "see" his machine no matter what one I tried from including the server. Turned off the firewall.. and I was in business.

The XP firewall is about the crappiest one I've ever seen.
  • Tyvai
  • Tyvai

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
Do yo have Norton internet secureity installed on each computer if so it limits the computer from seeing each other. I had this problem with a friend and disabled the internet secureity and everything was great.

Actually Yes I do have NIS Pro Loaded on all the machines. Without that being loaded what would you suggest for a professional software firewall program. i have one on my router but load sw ones on all my machines as well. If im not using NIS whats the next best one to use.

M
  • Tyvai
  • Tyvai

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
check the XP firewall, make sure it's disabled on each computer. This also blocks you from seeing other computers on a network.

Nope have all the XP firewalls's disabled but DO have Norton Internet Security Professional loaded. If i cant use that one ( might be a problem with it ) what would you suggest for a software firewall solution?

M
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want a free one Zone Labs makes a free version http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/c ... wnload.jsp
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you check your router's specs, it probably has a built in firewall. I have found that, so far, to be sufficient.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO is right the fire wall in the router does a darn good job on it's role. And it is coustomizible ports/services etc.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I also concur with the router being sufficient. Behind one, you are really being redundant with local firewalls, and is probably your whole problem.
  • andrushok
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All.
I had the similar problem with my home networking. I resoled it yesterday. It was my first step in the networking. Maybe it will be helpful. I had one desktop with Windows 2000 Pro connected to Internet via linksys WRT54G router. The desktop has usual Ethernet plug-in. Then I bought a laptop. The laptop with Windows XP Home has both Ethernet and wireless connections. The process took 3 days. (I hate Windows XP after that). So:

Day 1:
Step 1. Turn on both computers as is. All network configuration AS IS. I create some shared folders on both computers and try to see it.
Both Ethernet and Wireless connections: Desktop sees nothing. Laptop sees nothing. (However Internet connection is fine for both computers)

Step 2. Create the account in Administrators group with the same name/password on each computers. Create the workgroup with the same name on each computer (I made something wrong on XP, I will explain it below).
Ethernet connection: Desktop sees the workgroup and Laptop here, however Laptop shared folder is unavailable. Laptop sees nothing.
Wireless connection: Desktop sees nothing. Laptop sees nothing.

Step 3. I should find more information in Internet. Let go to bad. :evil:

Day 2:
Step 4. I have found something. I sets “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” on both computers and try again.
Ethernet connection IS FINE! Desktop sees the workgroup and Laptop here. The shared folder is available. The same for Laptop. I share a printer. (the printer connected to Desktop via parallel port). I add this printers to Laptop. Laptop can can print!
Wireless connection: Desktop sees the workgroup and Laptop here, however Laptop shared folder is unavailable. Laptop sees the workgroup, however when I try to click on the workgroup, I receive the message looks like “Network resource is unavailable”.

Step 5. I should find again more information in Internet. Let go to bad. :evil: :x

Day 3:
Step 6. I have found again something.
First suggestion was: “Disable simple file sharing on XP”. Unfortunately XM Home does not allow “Disable/Enable” that. Skip it.
Second suggestion was: “Install NetBEUI protocol”. I am not sure for a while. Skip it.
Third suggestion was: “Uninstall all protocols except: TCP/IP, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network and Client for Microsoft Network”. I find the protocol named looks like “OoS schedule …” and uninstall it.
Fourth suggestion was: “Disable firewall”. Do it. Check again.
Ethernet connection is fine.
Wireless connection is the same as yesterday. :x

Step 7. I run network wizard on XP again. I select the different option described my Internet connection. And I find two connections the wizard (Ethernet and Wireless). At first time when I created the workgroup I selected Ethernet. (Ethernet was fine!), now I select Wireless. Oh my God! I have found the Workgroup for Wireless connection was not changed (MSHOME!) :x . I change it and press Finish. Check again.
Everything IS FINE.

Conclusion: It is understandable for me, why one computer is in the different workgroups in the same time. May be it is more flexible… I did not try “Enable firewall”, however I thing it is not necessary to disable it, because my Ethernet connection worked fine with enabled firewall (See day 2).

Thanks everyone who posted the suggestion in Internet. :wink:
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have the wireless enable, make sure you turn on WEP on (Wireless Encryption Protocol) Its frightingly easy hack into a network without WEP turned on!!! Have a search on the web for tips on how to do it, otherwise post here if you have problems.

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts