Windows 98 not updating Windows properly.

• sl9799
  • sl9799
  • Loc: houston, tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to help my boss fix his personal home computer. He had a slew of viruses on it which had even deleted Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Basically what started the whole mess was when he deleted his user profile on Windows. I'm not sure but its my theory that when you delete a primary user profile folder on Windows98 se that contains all the primary settings like Norton Anti-virus you end up with a pretty big extensive mess. My problem currently is updating Windows 98 through Microsoft. Everytime I have the computer scanned by the Windows Update program it comes up with a big warning that I am not the Administrator - I think that it goes back to my primary user file missing. Now I've checked their Q/A on that exact problem but they only have a solution if you have Windows XP. I tried using their tips for Windows XP but it didn't work. I do not have the original Windows98 disk that's missing. I did have some of the setup files for Windows98 already on the harddrive and did reinstall important functions like Control Panel, etc... But I'm still having the problem of not being able to update the current Windows. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Thanks for any input or advice.

-Stephen

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with this forum - I've been registered on a lot of others but this ones is pretty cool.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck.
I said that because on the first of this year microsoft stopped supporting windows 98 all versions. You could still maybe talk to some people and do some good searching and maybe find what you are looking for
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds to me that you need to get the 98SE disk from somewhere.. (i have a spare but it is no use to you) 98SE is very funny sometimes.. You most likley need to re-install the whole program.. I would just get XP!
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to Ozzu,

yeah im with Cuerock on this one, re install windows 98SE over top of the gimped up one. more than likely it will restore the user profiles etc and may even save the settings as well..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts