Windows XP:not a valid win32 application for Word

• bitz
  • Born
  • Born
  • bitz
  • Loc: Sydney,Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I've juz had my laptop rebooted-some kinda virus hit it while on the university's local connection.IT Dept couldnt figure out where it was hiding-said it was some kinda macro virus.Anyway,rebooted the system-slowly getting it to look the way it was.Installed Office again but nw I cant directly open any word docs by clicking on the file directly.I have to open it by opening Word and searching for it.When I try to open a Word doc. by clicking on it, a window pops up saying it is not a valid Win32 application. I am clueless with OS (by the way it's running on Windows XP Home,Office XP Pro)..ANY input would be greatly appreciated!! :(

Thanks!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your file association is screwed up.

Here are instructions on how to reassociate the extension (you need to be reassociating it with "Microsoft Word Document")

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/asso ... ile%20Type
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice one, specially this part:

Quote:
If you click New in the File menu in Windows Explorer or in the context menu, a list of objects appears, such as Folder or Microsoft Excel 5.0 Worksheet. Clicking an object creates a new object in Windows Explorer or on the desktop. You can add an object to this list by adding a key called ShellNew to the corresponding file extension in the Registry for the related filename extension:

Hkey_Classes_Root\.ext

After creating the ShellNew key, you need to add a new string value called FileName with a data value that equals the path name to a template file in the ShellNew subdirectory. For example:

filename="c:\windows\shellnew\excel.xls"

I keep saying, you learn new stuff every day, man... :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts