Windows + PuTTY + vi and A B C D arrow keys.

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm using PuTTY to connect to my server and vi some files. Whenever I go into insert mode and use my keyboard's arrow keys, it goes to the line above and puts a letter in. Basically my arrow keys turn into A, B, C & D and move lines and such. I don't know if it's my keyboard or OS or what. It seems like a client side issue, cause vi works fine at the server with another keyboard. How can I permanently resolve this issue without using H,J,K,L?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just used PuTTy to connect to 3 machines, FreeBSD, Ubuntu & Gentoo. FreeBSD & Ubuntu are on my LAN & Gentoo is a remote shell. I tested vi on all of them, using the arrow keys, the way you described. They never inserted letters. Then I searched Google. Here is a quote from one site:

The h, j, k, and l commands reflect the arrow keys on those old VT100 terminals, and always work. Sometimes the arrow keys also do the same things, depending on your keyboard:

"Depending on your keyboard"???

Try another keyboard. I have no idea why that would make a difference but that's all I can find.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I figured it may have been my keyboard, maybe I can map the arrows to the letters lol... I have a Microsoft SideWinder X6
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have this problem often but only on some servers. I believe it's something to do with the keyboard layout that the server expects. There's a setting for this in PuTTY but I haven't had time to try all combinations to see which works.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried to mess with the PuTTY keyboard settings, maybe I'm changing the wrong one?

I'm running a SideWinder X6 Keyboard on Windows 7 right now, the server box is ArchLinux. Any ideas?
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm quite sure it's not your keyboard or OS that's causing the problem, but unfortunately I'm not sure what PuTTY setting, if any, might fix it.
  • spikewilliams
  • Born
  • Born
  • spikewilliams

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this problem. It turned out that I was using "vi" instead of "vim". So I installed vim, and vi started behaving much better.

I was pretty surprised to see a non-vim version of vi in the wild. This was on an Ubuntu box. On Red Hat family systems, vim is the standard.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts