Windows ME question

• shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer was acting wack, It has windows ME on it. I decided to wipe out my system and start from scratch. The boot disk wasn't doing anything so I went to A:, then I hit fdisk and it erased the dos partition. What exactly did that do, now it wont load anything on and I'm not able to load windows back on. Please help me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean you fdisked without knowing what you were doing? :o :roll: :shock:
Dos at that?
Someone help him! I am at a loss for words!
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use your boot disk to boot the computer, if you need a boot disk go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download a win98 sec edition with CD-Rom support. Then once it has booted you need to run fdisk again and create a primary partition on the hard drive. Then exit fdisk restart the computer from the boot disk again and run Format C:\ then just stick your CD in and run setup from the CD and there you go for loading windows. The windows CD has to be a full version or you must have a full version product key code. Enjoy and if you have any more questions feel free to ask :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer << what he said

that should be about all you need to get things going again.
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did what you guys said--the problem now is wont let me get past the A prompt, I tried typing cd C: and it keeps saying invalid..... Also if I don't reboot with the floppy it says invalid disk.....replace disk and hit any key to continue. what could be the problem
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here's another question, maybe there's a way around it. The computer is reading my cd rom drive as R. I tried typing in setup to see if it would befing loaading windows but it says It cannot be ran from Dos. Any suggestions?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

shaunamc wrote:
I tried typing cd C: and it keeps saying invalid..... Also if I don't reboot with the floppy it says invalid disk.....replace disk and hit any key to continue. what could be the problem

Once you create the primary partition you have to format the C: drive, then you can cd C:, Now for your other problem copy the contents of the floppy to the C: drive once you have formatted it and make a directory called C:\windows Once that is done then you can boot from the C: drive and try and install from there. You can edit the Config.sys to change the drive letter of the CD-Rom drive. If that doesn't work the last thing to try is copy the command.com from the CD-rom and overwrite the Command.com on the C: drive. But try and load from the CD first. Let me know if you have anymore problems. Enjoy :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts