Windows Serve 2003 RemoteApp

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It appears the ability to do RemoteApp is going to cost us more than we are willing to spend. Our situation is we have a program and its MSSQL DB running on a Win2k3 machine. Using a VPN worked fine in the past but is recently running very slow. Really since we swapped to a faster cable ISP. I tried changing MTU and several other settings and nothing seems to help. However, we only have really 1 user that needs this so I just don't have the budget to throw $1k+ dollars at it, but I thought a citrix-like option may work better. I'd rather not use remote desktop and prefer the user stays on their own desktop. Can someone give me suggestions on alternative RemoteApp programs? I got a trial for Citrix's Fundamentals so I am going to first see if by-passing the DHCP servers VPN is even going to work better. The only other options I see are upgrading to Win2008/RemoteApp or 2x/Citrix. Both seem overly expensive and overkill for our situation where we have 1 program and 1 user and ZERO likelihood of adding additional users. I think Citrix wants me to buy 5 CALs and their program for over 1000 dollars. Are their cheaper/easier alternatives?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm messing with Winflector. This wasn't too hard to get working except that my application locks up when I do a print preview. One of the devs messaged me and told me to try the new release which has several changes to printers. Otherwise, this may be an alternative for us. I haven't tried the new release yet but will post back if it solved my problem.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you looking for single user remote login or multiple user login?

I am unsure as to if it will be multiple user but i have used RealVNC and i really enjoyed there app. It is a encripted connection program.

http://www.realvnc.com/
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was my understanding they vnc was remote desktop. I want to just package the application.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts