Windows server 2000 logging

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there a way in windows 2000 to log when a user del renames moves creates opens edits a file folder or directory?

even better would be a program where we can sort by users folders and so on if anyone knows of something like this or near to this please let me know..

thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CowKiller wrote:
is there a way in windows 2000 to log when a user del renames moves creates opens edits a file folder or directory?

No - that is not unless you put some kind of keylogger on it. And that would assume the user is at the server and not accessing remotely.

CowKiller wrote:
even better would be a program where we can sort by users folders and so on if anyone knows of something like this or near to this please let me know..

Need to be more specific CowKiller. That question really doesn't make much sense. More detail, please.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well where i work we have a windows 2000 server and people come to the IT department if saying that this file or that file got removed from the network folder. so we are looking for something that will tell us what files that user account used deleted created ect..

that way when they come to us and ask what happen to this file/folder we can tell them or see what happened..

also wanted to know if there is a script or program that can call the values and display them in the search or order we want..
such as by user file folder network drive ect..

i hope that gives a better understanding of what i am looking for.

also hey ATNO it has been a wile since i been on/around..
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

after some more research i found some info about audit policy it seems like it will do what i asked for logging events.

any chance of getting some information on something that will search the log file.. i found something called "Log Parser 2.2"

Quote:
Brief Description
Log parser is a powerful, versatile tool that provides universal query access to text-based data such as log files, XML files and CSV files, as well as key data sources on the Windows® operating system such as the Event Log, the Registry, the file system, and Active Directory®.

something that can call the log file and display the data would be nice, i dont know if this one will or not..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts