Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Service Pack 2

Quote:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.

I'm not sure why MS is so adamant that people depend on Windows Update for installing SP2. The only advantage is a smaller download which varies depending on your system. In the long run, it's not really an advantage.

I use Windows update to check for new updates but not to install them. I prefer downloading and saving updates for future use. I have all the updates saved locally in case I need to do a clean install. This is a good thing; especially if you are on a dial-up connection.

Despite Microsoft's recommendation, anyone can download and install the full Service Pack 2 update which is available at the above page. If you want to slipstream (integrate) SP2 into your original XP Source (CD, Network share, etc) this is the package you need.

Here's a link to a guide for making a XP CD with SP2.
http://www.stargeek.com/item/223065.html

All you need is your original XP CD, Service Pack 2, and burning software.

Edit:
The English and German versions of SP2 on CD are available for order.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... fault.mspx

You can use the file XPSP2.exe from the CD to integrate Service Pack 2 into your XP source.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dos_attack_ph
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there!

i have read a lot here and found great answers! i have just one query about SP2..i just downloaded the SP2 using autoupdate and i wish i could put the downloaded stuff into a cd for future use for i use a dialup connection and it took me two days to complete the downloadbut i cant find it...do u know where did it go after the auto install? or was it deleted after reboot for being classified as a temporary file? thanks! :D
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello dos_attack,

It was deleted after install. The above link in the first post is for the full install. You download it just like a normal file and can save it anywhere you want. It is large though.

Another alternative you might consider is the CD. It's free:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... fault.mspx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts