Windows Source-Code Leak - Ongoing Controversies

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We appreciate the update, but nobody here is going to pay for a premium service to the LA Times to read what will readily be available on the internet shortly if indeed it's true. If you can't provide a link to a free version of the article or info within 12 hours, we will remove this as what it appears to be - SPAM
  • jago25_98
  • Born
  • Born
  • jago25_98

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Microsoft source code leak could be intentional.

By doing this Microsoft can attack Open Source but not closed source products. How? By tempting Open Source projects such as Wine to use the Windows code that has been released.
Any of thier code that is then later found in Open Source is then attacked legally. Closed source can more easily `copy` code from OSS than vise-versa because of the less transparency in closed sourced code. Additionally, OpenSource has little if no legal funding.

Proving it and gaining evidence in favour:

- The code released is one of the more useful of sections of source code compared to the the rest of the OS to Open Source projects.

- The code released contains IP of a lower value to the corporation.

There may be other ways of finding out more detail.

This message is Open Source, permission to quote at will ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:scratchhead:
  • jago25_98
  • Born
  • Born
  • jago25_98

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intended as a comment regarding the Microsoft code leak.

The article is elsewhere too.

Bit late I know to discuss but still hot topic.

Basically saying that by the leaking of the source code isn't really such a big problem for Microsoft(especially since it's a small and kinda insignificant bit), but for other software which may finding it tempting to use that code in thier projects - i.e. it's there in the raw trojust incorporate.

Get me?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually jago25_98, I wasn't scratching my head at your post. I followed that. I was trying to figure out why I'm sure I remembered that there was an original post to this thread and now there's not. I guess one of the other mods removed it and forgot to delete mine, or I removed it and forgot to delete mine. *lol

At any rate, your post is definitely a better conversation than what I seem to recall the original being.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts