Windows sp2 screw up

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend just installed SP2 off the windows updater. It told him to restart his computer for the updates to take effect so he rebooted but it freezes at the windows loading page before the log in when windows starts up. He left his computer on for an hour with the windows starting progress bar but it just freezes. Any idea how he can fix this? He tried choosing "last known good boot" but it didnt work.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only one way to fix that.... format/reinstall.

Besides, I would NEVER update a service pack or any major upgrade without a clean install. I don't temp fate.

I'm like most IT departments in a lot of companies: "What? It don't work? Bah, reload the damn thing!"

Plus I never get around to do any spring hard drive cleaning, so a good format every 6 months or so works wonders.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

he has a bran new computer tho its only like a month old.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know if he is using a custom boot screen? Normally SP2 won't install if that's the case but I'm not sure if this is the case through Windows update.

SP2 updates ntoskrnl.exe, which is where the boot screen w/progress bar is found. Trying to boot with an older kernel would cause it to freeze.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can boot to safe mode, check the event log. Look at both the system and application logs. Try to follow the boot process through the logs and note the last event recorded (that's probably where your problem is). You probably have a service that's having trouble starting. I had that happen with my Windows 2003 server when I installed the Novell Client for login to accomodate my migration. Did the same thing you're describing.

In my case the nasty was a conflict with the Backup exec licensing and something with the Novell server. Anyway the point is that the Backup Exec services wouldn't start and let me get to a login screen. I stopped those services and set them to manual knowing I could start them once I logged in and the problem was solved.

Obviously it won't be the same for you. My first guess would be a conflict with a hardware device (check the hardware compatability list for SP2 against what's in the machine). My second guess is a service is having trouble starting. Those are the only two things I can thing of at the moment.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i had the same feeling. hes new at computer and i know he didnt use a custom boot. I was also thinking safe mode might work. I had a feeling it was a hardware issue. il check the logs with him if he hasnt already taken his computer to a shop. Thanks.
  • lunloon
  • lunloon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got the same thing too... and i cannot find the list of hardware incompatible with sp2...

i formatted and reinstalled up to sp1 and now it has a certain problem being only able to boot smoothly after 3-4 resets after freezing during the windows loading screen.
  • jam3s
  • Born
  • Born
  • jam3s

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could be incompatabilities with his Motherboard BIOS. I have had no less than three different M/Bs at work which have required a BIOS update to fix SP2 incompatabilities.

Exact same symptoms - freezing before getting to the logon screen. A quick test to see if the machine has frozen completely is to try the numlock key. If it doesnt respond by lighting up on the keyboard, the machine is frozen and there is no point in waiting.
  • faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup hes right, and besides if ur pc froze after installing sp2 , its properly a hardware on ur pc that doesnt support sp2, go to ms site and look for the compatbilities with sp2 before upgrading....
  • jzed
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can order a CD for the SP2 update.
microsoft ships it free.

i don't have the link for it though, i'll try to find it and post it later.

-zed

________
Interested in an iPod...perhaps a free one?
  • DevLHuntr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DevLHuntr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work for the university of tennesee IT dept. I've seen a few computers that sp2 just destroyed. I'm not sure that microsoft was really ready to release this sp, but for those of us that it works with, its kinda nice. Your best bet is to get to safe mode and just remove sp2 (Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs). Microsoft will get these issues fixed in a few months i'm sure, just wait until then to update your system. you might try the cd (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... fault.mspx) it might be a good solution.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts