windows XP SP2

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of the people i know now have Windows XP home SP2 but i dont seem to have it. I have Automatic updates on but i have not gotten SP2 yet. There are no manual downloads on the microsoft site for SP2 so im just wondering if im supposed to have SP2 by now? under my general system settings it states:

microsoft windows XP
Home edition
Version 2002
Service pack 1
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm. SP2 should be available for XP Home users. For Pro, it will be available Wednesday through Windows Updates. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/comp ... honey.html

You could try going to Windows Update site and see if you are offered the express installer. Personally I'd recommend getting the full package manually; So you'll have it in case you need to reinstall.

Here's a link for the manual download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant seem to get it off the microsoft webpage thro express or custom. Before i download that manual one i want to make 100% sure i dont already have SP2 on my computer. Is there a way to check. What i did before was check in the system settings: in there it said i had SP1
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

it appears that my autoupdate is trying to download what i think is the second service pack but it is stuck at 0% downloaded. its been like that for hours.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm don't know where you learnt that Sp2 isn't available for regular download. .Its fairly large, 266Mb, Hopefully you have Broadband, I can't get it in my area, mores my bad luck :/ Two computers to update so away I go to download it some more..
Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en
Enjoy and have fun ;)

Alkatr0z

Also it should say in System Properties whether SP2 is installed or not, I haven't got it myself but it would fall well in line with Microsoft's design.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft is now accepting orders for the Service Pack 2 CD. They will ship it free of charge. Currently the English and German versions are available.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... fault.mspx

After it's installed, you should see Service Pack 2 in the System Properties Window.
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alkatr0z wrote:
Hmm don't know where you learnt that Sp2 isn't available for regular download. .Its fairly large, 266Mb, Hopefully you have Broadband, I can't get it in my area, mores my bad luck :/ Two computers to update so away I go to download it some more..
Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en
Enjoy and have fun ;)

Alkatr0z

Also it should say in System Properties whether SP2 is installed or not, I haven't got it myself but it would fall well in line with Microsoft's design.

mine was only a 95mb download, running xp pro, the good thing i like that it has done, is on the add or remove program list its got rid of the many previous windows updates that used to dominate the list, now if you want to see them you can have the option by clicking on show updates, the pop-up blocker works very well also, for microsoft anyway...
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys il have to look into getting it manualy then tonight.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I couldn't help you with your auto update problem. I never use it so I don't really have any clue as to why it's not working.

If I run across a possible fix, I'll post it here.

Good luck
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

suprisingly the auto update just kicked in an hour ago and it downloaded and installed SP2. I dont know why it took so long for the auto update to start working but sp2 is all installed now. Thanks for the help.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's good news. Glad it's working. You should put in an order for the CD. Could come in handy later on...
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh that link that u sent do u have to have windows professional or can u have home and install it ???? i dont need it cuz i am downloading it now from the windows update but for anyone that might need to know well actually i might need it cuz its stayed at 18% for a long time
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the english version for both Home and Professional.

Edit: Actually there are versions available for Chinese, English, French, German, and Korean versions which can be used to update the following:

TabletPC, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition

If it's the CD order page you are referring to, then only the English and German versions are avaliable.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks alot
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

why would the cd come in useful? could there be problems with SP2?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
why would the cd come in useful? could there be problems with SP2?

In case you need to reinstall XP. That way you won't have to worry about downloading sp2 again. In fact, take a look at this post.

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/windows-service-pack-network-installation-package-t29867.html

Having a XP CD with Service pack 2 built in is very handy.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

To explain the difference in size. If you install using AutoUpdate then it is a optimized version for what you actually need, so it won't download the whole thing necessarily. If you download it manually or get it on CD it saves it redownloading the same parts over and over again if you are planning on installing it across several computers. That link would work for XP Pro I know, it should say on the page whether it is for Home or whether home has a different one or something. Interesting about the CD Orders. Does that apply to people outside of the states?

Alkatr0z

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts