windows system error

• lockexiii
  • lockexiii

Post 3+ Months Ago

windows - system error
a duplicate name exists on the network.

this always pops up when i start windows.i just formatted my hard disk and im not connected to any network lan or internet.im still not done installing programs such as games, i dont know if there's something wrong with the softwares i used.i already used them before and it gave me no problem, but now this happen.pros out there, help me please.im afraid to connect to the internet if my machines not ready yet,there's a lot of threat out there.i dont want to connect unprotected.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you log in, are you attempting to join a domain? Right-click My Computer and select properties, and locate your workgroup & computer name - have you set another PC up in your house with the same?

Quote:
"Duplicate name exists" errors prevent a Windows computer from joining the network. The computer will start up and function in an offline mode only. To resolve this error, simply change the name of the computer to one that is not used by other local computers (or Windows workgroups), then reboot.

Source: about.com
  • lockexiii
  • lockexiii

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks sir, it resolved my problem.i thought i was something grave, i was just too nervous seeing such notifications.:D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem, glad I could help. No need to get too jumpy over Windows messages. As long as you play it safe with your download sources and keep a smart head about you (to avoid malware, viruses, etc.), then the messages usually aren't the end of the world. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts