WINDOWS TRICKS & SHORTCUTS

• Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish
  • Loc: Chennai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Disable Desktop Save Settings on Exit (2000, XP, 2003)

By default whenever you exit Windows all desktop layout changes such as icon locations are saved. However if you have a public computer where you want the same desktop layout to appear everytime Windows starts you can disable the save settings feature by utilizing the following registry hack.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer.
Right click on the right side pane and select New-->DWORD Value and name it NoSaveSettings .
Double click on NoSaveSettings and assign it a Value data of 1 .
Close the registry editor and restart for the effects to take place.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change Number of Applications in Group Similar Taskbar Buttons (XP and 2003)

Windows XP and 2003 incorporates a new feature that groups multiple instances of the same application within a single button on the Taskbar. For example, instead of having a Taskbar button for each instance of Internet Explorer, XP and 2003 will group all the IE open windows within a single Taskbar button. This is very useful in that it saves valuable space on the Taskbar. This feature is enabled by default and can be toggled on and off by right-clicking on the Taskbar and selecting Properties and checking the Group similar taskbar buttons option. The problem is that you cannot control how many instances of a particular application need to be open before they are grouped together. The following registry hack will give you control over the number of instances of an application that need to be launched before they are grouped together.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Advanced.
Right click on the right side pane and select New-->DWORD Value and name it TaskbarGroupSize.
Double click on TaskbarGroupSize and assign it a Value data corresponding to the number of open instances that you desire. This example will use 3.
Close the registry editor and logoff Windows for the effects to take place.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Restrict Access to Specified Applications (2000, XP 2003)

There are many situations where an administrator needs to restrict access to certain applications. For example, you may want to restrict users from running Internet Explorer, FTP Clients or Command Prompt. In order to accomplish this you need to make the following changes to the registry.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer.
Right click on the right side pane and select New-->DWORD Value and name it DisallowRun.
Double click on DisallowRun and assign it a value data of 1.
With the HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer key highlighted right click on Explorer and select New-->Key. Name the new key DisallowRun.
Now right click in the right side panel and create a New String Value called 1 and assign it the value of the executable file you want to restrict access to. For each additional application use consecutive numbers with value set to the name of the executables you want to restrict access to.
Close the registry editor and logoff Windows for the effects to take place.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard (XP)

Windows XP includes a new feature that is used to move all unused icons to a single folder so your desktop does not be become overly cluttered. By default this wizard will run every 60 days asking if you want Windows to automatically cleanup your desktop. If you find this behavior irritating you can disable it by implementing the following steps.

Right click on the desktop and select Properties.
Select the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
On the General Tab uncheck Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remove Shared Documents Folder from My Computer (XP)

Windows XP includes a new folder called Shared Documents that appears in My Computer. This feature is used to provide an easy mechanism for multiple users on a single workstation to share files with each other. However this can create a potential security risk in a networked environment. To disable this share make the following change in the registry.

Right click in the right side pane and select New-->DWORD Value and name it NoSharedDocuments .
Double click on NoSharedDocuments and assign it a value data of 1 .
Close the registry editor and restart Windows for the effects to take place..
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remove Username from Start Menu (XP 2003)

Windows XP and Server 2003 will list the name of the currently logged on user at the top of the Start menu. This can represent a potential security risk since it will quickly reveal the name of a valid user account. An attacker who learns of a valid user account already has gained 50% of the information needed to gain unauthorized access to a network. Therefore, it is best to remove this bit of information by implementing the following registry hack. This can also be done using Group Policy by navigating to User Configuration | Administrative Template | Start Menu and Taskbar and enabling Remove user name from Start Menu.

Right click in the right side pane and select New-->DWORD Value and name it NoUserNameInStartMenu.
Double click on NoUserNameInStartMenu and enter a Value data of 1 .
Close the registry editor and logoff Windows for effects to take place.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List (2000, XP, 2003)

Sometimes when you uninstall a program using an applications built-in uninstaller it may not remove the entry from the list in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. In other cases you may wish to hide a certain program so no one knows that it is installed on your computer. Interestingly, many people will go to great lengths to hide the program folder and rename the process but will forget that the program name will still appear in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel list. The following registry hack can be used to remove these program names from this list.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Uninstall . Under this key you will see a list of all the program that are in the Add/Remove Programs list. Some of the key name may be very cryptic. To see what applications these keys correspond to, click on the key and look at the DisplayName value in the right side pane.
To remove a program from the list simply right click on the key value and select Delete. For those users who are attempting to hide applications you may want to first right click on the key and select Export in Windows XP and 2003. For Windows 2000 highlight the key and select Registry | Export Registry File.. from the Toolbar. Make sure Selected branch is selected. Save the REG file to a floppy or another secure location so if you ever need to uninstall the program you can quickly re-enter the application name on the Add/Remove Programs list by simply double clicking on this file. Another option that can be employed to hide the program name from appearing in this list is to simply change the DisplayName value in the right side pane.
Close the registry editor for the effects to take place.
  • Rathish
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rathish

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change Default Screensaver at Login (2000, XP, 2003)

Windows will present the user with a default login screensaver that is different from the screensaver that is set in the Display Control Panel. If you want to change the login screensaver make the following changes in the registry.

Navigate HKEY_USERS | .DEFAULT | Control Panel | Desktop and double click on SCRNSAVE.EXE and change the value of login.scr to the path of the screensaver file you want to use. For example, if you want to use the blank screensaver file enter scrnsave.scr for the Value data.
You can also change the value of the ScreenSaveTimeOut string to equal the same time that you have your desktop screensaver set at. Make sure you enter the value in seconds.
  • Bamini
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bamini
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Try all these commands

Windowskey + M --> Minimise all the windows opened
CTRL + N --> to open a another IE explore
WindowKey + R --> open the run windows
WindowKey + E --> open the explorer
F3 function is used to "find" option in the existing page.
ALT + Sapcebar then press x is used to maximize the window
ALT + Sapcebar then press n to minimise the existing window
etc.............

Interesting!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alt+space+Esc - Switch windows (and get the annoying clicking sound. At least it does on my computer).
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean alt+esc or another alt+tab
  • deyamag
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Egypt-Giza-Dokki.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks 4 Ol. but I always use cursor.
But I'v in my taskbar Icons of regedit.gpedit.msc,msconfig, cmd, run, help and support center, my computer,my control panel,my documents, recycle bin.
my desktop is empty.
  • Jason1985
  • Jason1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is some commands

How to Re-install Internet Explorer
Go to Start/Run, and type : rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\ie.inf

156 Useful Run Commands
http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/20/42/

Microsoft DOS and command prompt
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02

Regsvr commands

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 polstore.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

--------------------------------------------------------------
WK+e - starts the Windows Explorer
WK+f - starts the Find in Files dialog
WK+Ctrl+f - starts the Find a Computer on the Network dialog
WK+M - minimizes all the windows to clear the desktop
WK+Shift+M - restores all the minimized windows
WK+r - starts the Run dialog
WK+F1 - starts Windows Help
WK+Pause - starts System Properties
Shift + Home Highlights from current position to beginning of line.
Shift + End Highlights from current position to end of line.
Ctrl + Left arrow Moves one word to the left at a time.
Ctrl + Right arrow Moves one word to the right at a time.

:twisted:
  • Jason1985
  • Jason1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

O yea and by the way for your cookie and temp deleteing needs download ccleaner @ ccleaner.com
  • oldcomputerdude
  • oldcomputerdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if these have been mentioned (didn't read all 28 pages of this thread :-( ) so here are a few keyboard shortcuts for IE/Firefox

F5 = refresh page (already posted) but holding CTRL while hitting F5 forces all data to be resent from the server.

Typing just the name of a URL and hitting CTRL+ENTER fills in www. and .com at the beginning and end. For example: typing ozzu then hitting CTRL+ENTER goes to http://www.ozzu.com. In Firefox, SHIFT+ENTER fills in www. and .net.

CTRL+T opens a new tab in IE 7.0 and Firefox. CTRL+W closes the current tab.

CTRL+W is standard in Windows for MDI (Multiple Document Interface) programs (programs that have more than one document open at the same time). Hitting it closes the current document but leaves the program open.
  • oldcomputerdude
  • oldcomputerdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other IE 7.0/Firefox tips - again, I don't know if these have been mentioned yet:

1. CTRL+<number> where number is between 1 and 8 goes to that tab. If you have 5 tabs open, CTRL+4 goes to the fourth tab.

2. CTRL+9 goes to the last open tab.

3. If you have your Links toolbar showing, you can hold the CTRL key while clicking a link button. This automatically opens a new tab and goes to the website specified by the link button.

The links toolbar consists of all bookmarks saved in the Links folder under favorites. If you have bookmarks saved in the Links folder but can't see the Links toolbar, right click an empty space by the menu bar and make sure the Links item is checked. Then you will see the Links toolbar.
  • oldcomputerdude
  • oldcomputerdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

To create a toolbar of favorite websites, save websites to the Links folder under favorites. Every site in the Links folder can be viewed on the Links toolbar. Make sure the links toolbar is enabled by right clicking an empty space by the menu bar/toolbars in Internet explorer. If Links is not checked, click it to check (enable) it.

You will see the word "Links" in the toolbar area. Drag it to an area you can see well (I like it on the same row as the menu bar just to the right of "help").

If you are using Internet Explorer 7.0, try this shortcut. To quickly go to a site in your Links list, hold the CTRL key down and click on the desired link. A new tab will automatically open and the site you clicked will be opened in the new tab.
  • marcus21
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcus21

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you hold sift and click on a link it will open the link in new window!

now, does nay one know how to open it in a new tab instead?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

marcus21 wrote:
now, does nay one know how to open it in a new tab instead?

Ctrl+click or middle click.
  • marcus21
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcus21

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i have heard this many times, but how do you actualy do a middle click?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Click the middle button on your mouse. Usually the scroll wheel.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CRTL+ '+' or '-' to change the font size, everybody may already know that... some may not :)
  • swanniebroo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • swanniebroo

Post 3+ Months Ago

CRTL + SHIFT + . (period/full stop) is increase font size, the same but with , (comma) to decrease, CTRL + D in Word to open font menu, and CTRL + F is Find or Search. FIRST POST WOOT.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. I like the command with the mouse where you hold control and left click to select applications to close them all using the context click(right click) option (close group).
I would like to know of a way to select multiple windows like this without using the mouse.
Anyone know?

(yes that mouse and keyboard trick was mentioned)

Here we are: Press and hold Alt. Then press Spacebar. This should bring up the windows position options. I use this all the time when I want to (R)estore, (M)ove, (S)ize, Mi(n)imize, or Ma(x)imize.

My Acer5610Z has a nice feature that dims the monitor(I like to do this when listening to audio on computer). Fn(Function) F6.
I would like to start some listings of neat interesting model-unique Function commands(or perhaps a different name than "function") on computers of all sorts.
I like being able to lock the mouse, too(Fn F7).

Weep.
Ctrl, Pgup, Pgdn, space
  • untitledG
  • Born
  • Born
  • untitledG

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can lock your XP workstation with two clicks of the mouse. Create a new shortcut on your desktop using a right mouse click, and enter 'rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation' in the location field. Give the shortcut a name you like. That's it -- just double click on it and your computer will be locked. And if that's not easy enough, WK + L will do the same.

I will publish few more for you guys...... coming up lol.
  • untitledG
  • Born
  • Born
  • untitledG

Post 3+ Months Ago

snail wrote:
Okay. I like the command with the mouse where you hold control and left click to select applications to close them all using the context click(right click) option (close group).
I would like to know of a way to select multiple windows like this without using the mouse.
Anyone know?

(yes that mouse and keyboard trick was mentioned)

Here we are: Press and hold Alt. Then press Spacebar. This should bring up the windows position options. I use this all the time when I want to (R)estore, (M)ove, (S)ize, Mi(n)imize, or Ma(x)imize.

My Acer5610Z has a nice feature that dims the monitor(I like to do this when listening to audio on computer). Fn(Function) F6.
I would like to start some listings of neat interesting model-unique Function commands(or perhaps a different name than "function") on computers of all sorts.
I like being able to lock the mouse, too(Fn F7).

Weep.
Ctrl, Pgup, Pgdn, space

Pess and hold CTRL use the arrow keys left, right, up, down, you will move to various Folders in window and to select them press SPACE BAR, you can select multiple.[/quote]
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, that tip is in there. wooo along with a number of other goodies. ctrl shift esc then select the applications and right-click (context click button) to arrange vertically/horizontally
but I suppose for that least input for shut down you can press Winkie ; -) and d then alt F4.

Is there a way to adjust the tabs/columns in folders?
Is there a way to set ALL folders to display name, type, size, ALL the time?
Weep.
No such luck with the screen flip(Ctrl Alt arrow keys) and when I press control arrow keys it doesn't let me select more than one window it only moves within certain focus spots(the task bar and tray)
  • untitledG
  • Born
  • Born
  • untitledG

Post 3+ Months Ago

snail wrote:
yeah, that tip is in there. wooo along with a number of other goodies. ctrl shift esc then select the applications and right-click (context click button) to arrange vertically/horizontally
but I suppose for that least input for shut down you can press Winkie ; -) and d then alt F4.

Is there a way to adjust the tabs/columns in folders?
Is there a way to set ALL folders to display name, type, size, ALL the time?
Weep.
No such luck with the screen flip(Ctrl Alt arrow keys) and when I press control arrow keys it doesn't let me select more than one window it only moves within certain focus spots(the task bar and tray)

Right click on the window and press View by DETAILED and it gives you all those what you looking for. you can see size, type name and much more.

And the other one has to select multiply icons in window is by holding CTRL key and then use arrow moving you will notice when it moves and then press SPACE bar keep CTRL holded at all time.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.shortcutguide.com/
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have successfully displayed the details in a folder. I have also successfully changed the details to be displayed. However,(here's the snag) when I go into that folder again it does not maintain/keep this setting. For example, I have one picture in a folder and every other file is text. I change view to details and include name, size, and type. I close that window. I open that same directory(containing the one picture and numerous text files) and it shows large icons.
Arggggggggggggg. I want all folders to display the same. Weep.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 350 posts