WINDOWS TRICKS & SHORTCUTS

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I have always wondered and have never discovered is what the SysRq is supposed to do. Anybody know? Since it is also Print Scrn, every time I hit it it copies the screen to clipboard, but I have no clue as to what SysRq does.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reminds me of another good shortcut:

ALT + Print Screen

Copies the selected window into the clipboard (as opposed to the entire desktop when not holding ALT).

I use that one at least once a week...
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

F5 to refresh a page in IE.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

F5 refreshes most apps in windows ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's one I discovered today by accident. Ever go to a page and the text is a little small and hard to read? If you have a scroll mouse, hold down control while scrolling. This will zoom in and out on the screen. Should work in all Windows versions from at least 98 up. I tested it today on 98, Win2K and XP. There do seem to be some websites like this one, for example, that it doesn't work on, but others OK. Works very well in text editors, though.

Another I remembered and didn't see listed yet is that when filling out a form on a webpage pressing the space bar will add checkmarks to check boxes and will enable radio buttons.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I got one. It seems to work on my machine, Windows 2K. If you hold the Shift key while scroll your mouse wheel in IE, this should take you to previous page or forward page depending on your scroll.

ljCharlie
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice one lj -- works for me on Win98 too.
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have 2 or more items open. *windows* press and hold alt + tab, it'll bring up whatever you have.. To switch press tab, make sure your still holding alt during this time though. :D

It works on 98 as well as XP, I'm not sure if it works any lower.
  • Blacksmith
  • Blacksmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you right click and drag files/folders etc, a sub menu pops up with "Copy here, Move here, Create Shotrcut here" and other options appear at other times as well.

This negates the use of left click and dragging whilst pressing whichever damn buttons move/copy etc. and makes it really easy for computer newbies to remember. This becomes even more useful if you set the My Computer default from "open" to "explorer" (or use WIN+E)

The ONLY time I ever left click and drag now is when I'm moving icons from one desktop to another (Dual Monitors)
  • Blacksmith
  • Blacksmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

To make the action of the "My Computer" icon explore rather than open.

Open explorer. Click Tools/ Folder Options/ File Types. Scroll down to Folder. Click Advanced and change the default to "explore" (much more useful!)
  • Blacksmith
  • Blacksmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

To increase the maximum number of simultaneous downloads in IE from the default of 3.

Run REGEDIT

Navigate to :[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

Add the following DWORDS:

Dword Name: "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"
Dword Value: 00000019

Dword Name: "MaxConnectionsPerServer"
Dword Value: 00000019

This increases the number of simultaneous downloads (per instance of IE) to 10,
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lot's of good ones like that at Winguides, UNFLUX. That one's been around awhile:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

But it would probably be best to stick to simple tricks and shortcuts here and maybe start a new thread for registery hacks and tweaks with a clear warning that they better have a copy of their restore disk/OS handy if they start playing with them! :roll: (or more simply since winguides is dedicated to registery tweaks maybe just bookmark that one.)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been saving this one and it's the all-time best keyboard shortcut - and I just reread through all five pages of this thread to make sure nobody has posted it yet. I'm sure this is the greatest keyboard shortcut of all time because it's such a secret...NOBODY seems to know about it or use it.

F1

Go ahead - try it - You'll like it!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the windows manuals... but if I wanted too I should just macro f1 to launch google! that'd work really good then! :-P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've recently thought that we at OZZU should all get together and just write a brand new operating system that actually works. I do like your macro idea though.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I'll have to think about it, but I don't think it would be a macro as much as a VB script change to do it. But it would be cool. I find almost all my answers on Google, but the help stuff is important for newbies to read and if they did, there would probably be a few less questions. (Most people I know don't even know where their owner's manual's are). Perhaps that's not a good thing for OZZU? Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant teach me how to make an OS ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I meant teach me how to make an OS ;)

As if I wouldn't like to know that! Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs and others were ahead of our times. I'd like to be rich, too.
  • Blacksmith
  • Blacksmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Lot's of good ones like that at Winguides, UNFLUX. That one's been around awhile:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

But it would probably be best to stick to simple tricks and shortcuts here and maybe start a new thread for registery hacks and tweaks with a clear warning that they better have a copy of their restore disk/OS handy if they start playing with them! :roll: (or more simply since winguides is dedicated to registery tweaks maybe just bookmark that one.)

Another site I've found that seems to have a lot more reg. hacks than winguide is http://www.jsifaq.com/ The search isn't the friendliest in the world but it seems to cover just about every hack/tweak imaginable.

Fair comment about the registry warning - Not something I usually forget but it was very late here in the uk - sorry! :roll:
  • venom
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres How to find Netmeeting on windows xp

1. Click on the Start menu.

2. Select Run.

3. Type "conf" (without quotes) in the Open field and hit OK.

You'll have to go through the setup Wizard the first time you launch it
  • venom
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're having trouble running older programs originally developed for previous versions of Windows, it's alright Microsoft built Compatibility Mode into XP. Compatibility Mode allows you to run a program using the shell of the original program it was developed for. here we will show you how to access a program's Compatibility Mode in XP.

1. Find the executable or program shortcut icon you'd like to run

2. Right-click the icon and select Properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab and place a checkmark next to the text labeled "Run this program in compatibility mode".

4. Select the operating system that the program was originally intended to run on.

5. You may need to fine-tune the three fields under "Display Settings" if an older program requires 640x480 resolution or 256 colors.

6. Click Apply.

Try starting the program after making these changes. If it still gives you trouble, try a different operating system. If the program was written for Win95 and worked fine in Win98, there's nothing that says it still won't work fine with Win98.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

CTRL + W closes full screen popup windows that have no other controls.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying to bold, italicize, or underline?

ctrl+b= Bold
ctrl+i= italic
ctrl+u= Underline

Highlight your selection and boom done no mouse needed! :D
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

also in you Outlook you can "backspace" through to go back and forth through the calender, inbox, deleted items....etc.. :D
  • James

Post 3+ Months Ago

In IE:

If you just type the name of a website into the address bar then press Ctrl and Enter windows automaticall puts http://www. before it and .com afterwards.....it saves a lot of time.

e.g.

Type "ozzu" into the address bar

Press Ctrl and Enter

http://www.ozzu.com appears!
  • SniperDevil
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

CTRL+F5 - Force refresh in IE, good if you have cached pages, 99% of us do, especially immediately after updating a page on a site via FTP, or after updating the hosts file (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) if you've got those stupid browser hijackers

CTRL+E - Built-in IE Search feature; it's horrible compared to google, but hey, it has my site!

Winkey + U - If you're deaf, this is a great tool!

Winkey + B - see the status of your network connection

some others too lazy to write down
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm - I'll ask the stupid question. What key is "Winkey" ?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

look at your PC keyboard, on the bottom left between your Ctrl and
Alt keys is a key with a Windows logo on it. Hold it down like Shift to
accomplish various shortcuts.

Such as --
Winkey + D = Show Desktop ;)

enjoy.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

that reminds me....

winkey + L = locked pc! :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

that doesn't work too well -

I locked it, left the password field blank and it let me right back in. Also,
none of my passwords were valid when locking it with that method.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 349 posts