Windows vista backup problem

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A shadow could not be created for the following reason: Access denied. (0x80070005)

While creating the back up from my previous successful first backup on somewhere around( January 11th 2008 ),

I used a new dvd to back-up, it formatted and won't go any further until creating shadow..

Any help is kindly appreciated.

:(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html#3
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm stuck here:

Quote:
Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.

I searched and searched and searched, but couldn't find it. Where is that System Volume Information folder?!?

and the information from that link might be a bit out-of-date, I go to 'My computer' > (there's no tool) I use 'Organize' > and the rests are the same until System Information folder.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have a Vista machine at work so I am not sure. But the folder should be in your C: drive so it should be C:\System Volume Information
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

No grinch, not System volume information. I couldn't find something resemblance to it, or sounds like it...

Thanks, anyway :)
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure that in the Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View you have "Show hidden files" checked and "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked. And that you are a member of the Administrators group or start windows explorer with Administrator credentials by right clicking -> Run as Administrator. I am using Vista nowadays and checked my own C drive and found System Volume Information.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Alkatr0z. Now I think the solution from that link given is not very relevant to the actual problem I am facing. I was not able to create a shadow, but not a restore point.

Although it has the same error code but It didn't work when I followed through the instructions given.

Yes, I found the System Volume Information folder, but unable to uncheck the read-only files from its properties. I uncheck and the second I double-confirm, it's checked.

However I tried creating a back* up but can't. The same error message as listed above.

*I tried because I had previously unable to find the location to show hidden files and Unhide protected operating system files.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you use Mcafee software? Specifically the Restore point cleaner? Any registry editing software? Dual boot windows XP & Vista?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use McAfee software. Restore point cleaner?, I'm not sure, I'd have to check and get back to you.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Might want to have a look at this:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=217491
Seems that System Restore Cleaner is part of QuickClean
Though it doesn't provide a solution except basically wipe everything and start again or restore from a backup which frankly I don't consider much of a solution from McAfee. A glance at their tech support page shows nothing really for QuickClean issues with System Restore.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts