Windows Vista startup hangup

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this the app you downloaded and ran?

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

Did you try running the recommended fix like it says to do on the website?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I had mentioned before, I tried using bootrec but it did not work.

When I click repair computer a System Recovery Options window appeared but it did not show my vista operating system.
This means I cannot select an OS to fix.

As I mentioned before, when I tested the hard disk the following information was displayed:

Partition Table: Unrecognized
Partition: unallocated
File System: unallocated

Do you know what this means.

I think the above issues are preventing the OS from being seen
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that was the boot-repair-cd.

When I loaded it, it did not show two options.
The Recommended Fix option was not displayed, only the Create a bootinfo summary.

I believe this again is due to it not be able to detect the OS.

What is funny though is that when I look at the log text file, it does say Windows vista is installed in the mbr of /dev/sda

It also says boot sector type unknown and unknown filesystem type
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this
Quote:
Using bootsect.exe from the Windows boot media

Though the actual steps vary a little between the different versions of the boot media, the instructions are generally the same:

Boot the computer using the appropriate Windows boot media.

Open a Command Prompt window:

Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD: Press Shift-F10 (or follow alternate instructions below).

Windows Vista DVD, Windows 7 DVD, Windows 7 System Repair Disc: If prompted, select the language, time, and keyboard options. Select to Repair your computer, select to Use recovery tools..., and then start the Command Prompt. Make sure to cancel any automatic repairs.

Note: Booting a system with the wrong version of the Windows media (e.g. using a Windows 7 x64 DVD on a Windows 7 x86 system) may result in it reporting that it's not supported or not compatible and block you from proceeding to the System Recovery Options menu. To get around this, click the Load Drivers button, click OK on the Add Drivers window, browse to X:\Windows\System32, scroll through the list and find cmd (you may need to type *.exe into the File name box and press ENTER if programs aren't being displayed), then right-click on cmd and select Open. To get the other windows out of the way, click Cancel on the Open box and on the Add Drivers box.

Windows 8 DVD, System Repair Disc, Recovery Media: If prompted, select the language, time, and keyboard options. If booting the installation media, click the Repair your computer link. Click Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Command Prompt.

TBWinRE, TBWinPE, WinPE-based builds, etc.: Depending on the build configuration, it may boot directly to the Command Prompt window. Otherwise, the Command Prompt should be available in TBLauncher, the taskbar menu, or by running cmd.

Determine the drive letters assigned to the DVD drive and the Windows partition requiring the repair. Note that this partition must be accessible and be assigned a letter (it can't be a hidden partition). In this example, D: will be used for the DVD drive and F: will be used for the Windows 7 partition.

Run the following command at the prompt (make sure to use the correct drive letters for your system):

D:\boot\bootsect /nt60 F:

Note: When booted to versions of the Windows 7 or Windows 8 boot media, bootsect.exe is available in the path and can just be referenced by name (i.e. bootsect /nt60 F:).

The computer should now be able to successfully boot the Windows 7 partition.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This looks like a promising tool:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EasyR ... ng+Started
  • esmaeilhamdy
  • Born
  • Born
  • esmaeilhamdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

wpas wrote:
I ran bootrec.exe /fixmbr and it said completed successfully.

Also ran bootrec.exe /scanos and it did not find any windows instatllation.

Also tried bootrec.exe / rebuildbcd and it found no windows installation

Also ran bootrec.exe /fixboot and it said element not found.

I tried to reboot again normally but again got Error Loading Operating system.

I do see the Hard Disk operating light flash so it looks like the hard disk is being accessed but cannot find windows vista intalled, I think.

Any further suggestions

its vista...

But in all out honesty have you ran a virus scan?

Once you get the computer to come up try disabling all the start up items on msconfig.

May be a program that is starting up in the background that is giving you some issues.

When you start up in safemode it disables start up items so you wont see the issue.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I have been mentioning, no program that I have used so far can detect vista os so that I can repair it.

Boot-repair-cd did detect that I had vista in hard drive but it could not load it as it says says boot sector type unknown and unknown filesystem type so it could not mount it.

It is starting to look like no matter what I do will not work untill the vista os is detected and drive mounted. Since it appears the drive cannot be mounted for some reason, I will never be able to repair mbr or boot
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I ran virus scan, chkdsk /f /r and it worked for a while.

Then I started getting error loading operating system.

It looks like partition and mbr info is corrupted and computer cannot access vista os.

My hard drive appears OK but no bootable program I use can access vista os on the drive as mentioned numerous times
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to download th Ubantu Desktop OS to see if I could install it along side my windows vista.

When I came to the final install point, there was a message that indicated that there was no other OS system installed and that if I installed Ubantu, it would erase all files on the drive.

I quit the install here as I did not want to lose everything just yet.

Is there a bootable chkdsk program I can download for vista. I am hoping if there is that it might fix my issue or else I will have to start from scratch.

This is why I get upset when OS disks are not included with computer
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to go the rout of finding the CDs call Dell 1-800-433-9014 and tell them you need the recovery CD for your computer. They may be able to help you get your computer back up with out needing the CDs. Make sure you have your Service Tag number handy.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will call Dell when they are open.

I have never had much luck with Dell Support so I have a few questions just in case:

From the testing tools I downloaded, it looks like the hard disk is definitely in good heath.

The problem appears to be that it has an unknown file system and so the vista os cannot be read.

I was thinking of actually installing the Ubantu OS.
When it installs, it will wipe out everything on the hard drive.

Does it matter that the hard drive has an unknown file system and unallocated partition table.
I assume the drive will be reformatted which should take care of the filesystem problem I hope.

If I want to install a version of windows later, can I intall it along side of Ubantu.

I need the computer working.

When I go to Dell suport I see they have a lot of updates for my computer and that I can download drivers for my audio, etc.
I have never used Linux so can I assume these programs will work the same as they do on windows.

If I wipe everything out, I want to know that at least I can get copies and re-install them.

thanks
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

the drivers are os suspific. I would Highly recomend doing this instead of installing the Linux on the hard drive. Ubuntu USB linux. But boot from the usb and run the os that way. Also then you will be able to TRULY tell if the computer sees your hard drive.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried the ubuntu usb and was quite pleased the way it worked.

The computer is connected to the internet via my WIFI using a USB stick. Once I put in the password, I was able to connect to the internet. This was very important to me.

I tried to looked up my hard disk.
I went to Files->Computer->dev->disk->by-id and saw the hard disk was listed.

I clicked on the hard disk but it said it could not display SDA. There is no application for "block device" files.

I am assuming I did this correctly which confirms my hard disk is seen by the OS.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not 100% on that part but there is a file manager that you whould be able to view the files.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I called Dell and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

I was told I would be sent CDs for the OS and drives for free as a one time only deal.

Hopefully when I get them next week, I might be able to use them to try some repair.

If not, I will re-install vista os.

Is it true to say that when I re-install the OS that it will autmotacilly format my hard disk even though it may have a corrupt file system and partions.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

wpas wrote:
Is it true to say that when I re-install the OS that it will autmotacilly format my hard disk even though it may have a corrupt file system and partions.

Good to know.

As far as in the re-install vista. I am about 99% sure that it will delete all files.

Like i said if you can use the Ubuntu to try to git what you can if you can.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the disks from Dell and re-installed the Windows Vista.

Now I have a different problem.

When vista works it works pretty good. However, after a few minutes of operation, it freezes and I have to wait until it unfreezes. This sequence is constantly happening.

If I try to install any programs, the installation starts, then freezes, then unfreezes, then freezes, etc. It took me over half hour to install a program that should have taken a few minuts.

I ran the Dell diagnostics, and it should my system was good, including hard drive, memory, etc.

Dell had me re-install the OS but it did nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you update all of your drivers and firmware and install all latest updates from Microsoft?
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have updated 21 drivers and firmware and the 136 microsoft updates.

Dell tells me it could be my hard drive. They won't do anything because out of warranty.

I checked memmory with the memtest86 for over 12 hours and it passed.

I tested the hard drive and all the tests I did showed it to be in good health.

Is is possible for a hard disk to be going bad even though all tests indicate it is OK.

I do not want to go buy a new hard drive if not necessary, but I do not know what else to do.

Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard drives are relatively cheap. Wouldn't hurt to buy one and if it turns out your original hard drive is good then you have two which is always good.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I turned the computer off then on again the next morning.
I got a disk read error.

Could this mean the hard disk is faulty or what?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite possibly, think you may just need to bite the bullet and buy a hard drive.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Hard drives are relatively cheap. Wouldn't hurt to buy one and if it turns out your original hard drive is good then you have two which is always good.

Just make sure to get the right one.

IDE or sata

If its IDE Good luck on finding one nowadays.
But being there is vista on it it should be sata. It dont matter what brand. Western Digital (WD) or Seagate.

But i am sure you know that already. :bouncingsmile: :scratchhead:
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took out the hard drive and went to buy a new one showing the original old one.
The original was 250GB but they only made now 500GB and since it was only $55, I bought it.

I installed it, partitioned it and formatted to NTFS.

I then put in the vista install CD, got to the point where I select the drive where I want to install and then hit the next button.

First it went to copying files and after a little bit of time files were successfully copied and it went to expand files.

This is where there seems to be a problem.
It looks like it is stuck at 0%.
So far it has been a hour but I will wait as long as possible.

Any explanations what is going on here.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

it stuck? where is it stuck?
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It copied the files
Then goes to expand stage and is stuck here
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you restarted the computer? It should restart the process.

does it go past the loging screen?
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

After two attempts to re-install I get the same error message:

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D

This is very strange as I am useing the vista install boot CD and so all the files should be there, right?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea.. are you kinda in a desktop? is there internet connection to it?
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not now.

After I install I use WIFI to connect to my internet
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago