Windows XP Volume Shadow Copy

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used and configured Volume Shadow Copy at work on my servers, but now I'd like to use it at home on my Windows XP Sp2 desktop and it occurs to me that the tabs aren't there. I've noted this before but now I figure I should pursue this to it's conclusion.

I know that XP Sp2 has VSS, and I've seen the services, even started them to see if that would make any difference, but I still have no Shadow Copies tab in the root drive properties box on any drive letter, which is where it is on my W2K3 servers...

Can anybody tell me decisively why this is? If it has the services then why can I not configure Shadow Copies on my XP Workstation? Is it only there to provide consistent backup to 3rd party programs?

That would seem unnecessarily restrictive when there is no real need...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• HoustonIT
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • HoustonIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe that XP isn't designed to use VSS as a standalone. You have to be connected to a Windows 2003+ domain.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I realize that, it would be nice if there was a way, similar to the hack to enable raid 5 on xp...

I have the space, I'd like to make use of VSS without having to use Server 2003 at home....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts