windows xp vpn....?

• craaashtest
  • Born
  • Born
  • craaashtest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quick question. I currently have a vpn setup between two LAN's through the integrated VPN software on windos XP. Host and client both have windows XP Home. I am able to get both computers tunneled, but I cannot access any files from either computer. My understanding is that as long as both machines share the same workgroup name, VPN'd machines should show up on your LAN, the same way your LAN comuters do (under My Network Places). I am able to ping both ways but I do not know how to get to the files. Sharing has already been enabled. Are there any settings that should be configured diffrently than those local machines? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you actually shared any drives/directories/files?

If you are an administrator on the machines, you could simply map a network drive to the administrative share.

Go to Windows Explorer on each machine. Under tools select map network drive.

Choose the drive letter you want and type \\machine_name\c$ where machine_name is the name of the computer you are trying to connect to.

This should let you access anything on the C drive of the other machine.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My understanding is that as long as both machines share the same workgroup name, VPN'd machines should show up on your LAN, the same way your LAN comuters do (under My Network Places)

Not all the time, sometimes you have to do a search for a computer to actually see it in windows explorer, or you can use Explorer's map network drive as ATNO says.
  • craaashtest
  • Born
  • Born
  • craaashtest

Post 3+ Months Ago

c$.... what does that do...? If I map a network location, will that give me full rights to the location I am trying to access? I will try that...... to be continued. Thanks for the reply
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

C$ is defined for administrative purposes in windows. If your acount is defined as an administrator account in the other computer you will have full rights there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts