Windows won't check my disk!

• Abravey
  • Abravey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Hope that someone could help -

I've got a message that flashes up for a couple of seconds when Windows XP is loading - it says that my FAT disk needs to be checked for consistency, that windows wont check it now but that it recommends that I do check it.

I've followed the instructions on the MS website - right clicked on the drive and asked it to check - it says that it will check it next time that it loads up, but it never does!

The problem started after I had downloaded lots of XP security updates. I also had a message saying that XP couldnt boot because the NTOSKRNL.EXE file was corrupt - but thats only happened twice and I've not done anything to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas what wrong please?

Thanks very much for you help

Al
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any particular reason for having a FAT disk rather than NTFS? NTFS is the better file system in most peoples opinion. You can convert it to NTFS using this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... ertfat.asp

Obviously you should backup any essential data first (i've never seen this cause a problem but theres always a first time - I take no responsibilty!)and you may wish to do some research first before you do this.

Other than trying the above, try running chkdsk at the command prompt and see if that works? It will normally say the disk is locked and it needs to run on startup or sometimes it just works in Windows.

S
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The instructions to convert a volume to ntfs czan also be found if you go to help and support and search for "convert to ntfs" you could use the chkdsk command if you go to start-->run-->type cmd-->then type chkdsk. To see the ful discription of what could be done with this action go to help and support in windows xp and type "schedule disk checking"
  • Abravey
  • Abravey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Guys,

I'll give the ntfs thing a go.

I tried to run the check disk command - it says that it can't fix it with windows open, it asks if it should do it at the next start up, but then doesn't.

Hopefully the ntfs will resolve.

Thanks again

Al
  • Abravey
  • Abravey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've switched to ntfs with no probs - thanks again - but ive noticed that windows it quite a bit slower now - does it take time to "bed in"?

al
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont see why it would take time to "Bed in" but the NTFS file system is quite large compaired to the FAT32 file system.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you do decide to stick with Fat32 though, you might wanna try booting from a Win98 boot floppy and run chkdsk/scandisk that way instead - without any Windows.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Axe are you saying that to prevent the use of any files by Windows?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, pretty much.

Whenever windows complains about not being able to access something/modify something, it's usually because it already has it loaded in memory.

If you boot from a DOS floppy and never enter windows, that isnt' gonna happen :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts