Windows 98 SE won't start!!

• victorcro
  • victorcro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can some one help? Please :cry:

I had the computer in stand by mode for two days. I tried to start the computer from stand by and it wouldn’t. So I had to shut down manually. I then started the computer and things seemed to go a bit slower. Finely I got to the desktop screen but the icon froze so I had to restart. This time the computer checked the hard drive for errors (found none) and started windows, the hard drive would start and stop it took a while to get to starting windows screen and then it tried to restart all by it self. Finely I got to the desktop, things are still running very slow, so I ran the anti-virus scan, 2 hours later no viruses found.
Still running very slow, I needed to use the scanner but the computer come back with error scanner not connected. Checked the connection and all is fine.
I shut down and now I can’t get anywhere. It won’t start, I tried the windows start-up disk but it won’t start either.
Even if I could get the start-up disk to work I wouldn’t know where to start.
I'm thinking a virus but what to do now?
Computer is a Pentium 3, 550 with 192RAM running Windows 98 Second Edition

Any help would be appreciated

Vic
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boot to safe mode.
Start | Run | MSCONFIG - go to the Start tab.

Make a list of all the startup executables that are listed as checked.

Compare that list to these startup tasks:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist ... sklist.htm

Elliminate anything that you don't absolutely need to run at startup.

Reboot and see if that helps.

List any suspicious ones or ones you can't figure out here.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Paris

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what you should do:

Run and get yourself a copy of Windows XP upgrade. Boot from the CD and install Windows XP upgrade. Forget Win 98 and never look back. I also tried to stay with Win 98 for a long time because I resisted change. Grave error. WIN98 is unstable, unreliable, and the IRQ problems are neverending. What you have seems to be one of the following:

1) and IRQ conflict with a hard drive. (Check "SYSTEM")

2) A defective hard drive (Check what the disk doctor says).

3) Some undetected virus which has hit your virus detector.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xp takes certain hardware things to run. Installing xp could make things slower. just a tip nimborde
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Paris

Post 3+ Months Ago

As of P3 700 you can install XP without problem. :)
  • victorcro
  • victorcro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW,

After some playing around I changed the STARTUP OPTIONS to this BOOT SEQUENCE, 1) Hard Drive, 2) Floppy, 3) CD-ROM and I managed to get the windows running and got to the desk top. I’m not sure what the problem was??
I restored my register to a earlier date but things were still running very slow (stop, freeze and go). I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL and it seems that I had for some reason RealPlayer running 3 times. I haven’t used the player in a long time! I uninstalled the player and have changed the Boot Sequence back to 1)Floppy, 2) CD-ROM, 3) Hard drive. All seems to be back to normal. I ran the anti virus again and all is clear.
I have made a list of all the startup executable’s that are listed as checked.

Compared them to list of these startup tasks:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist ... sklist.htm

And I have one suspicious one I can’t figure out – PROPELAC what is it or what dose it do?

Thank for your help
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Propelac is part of Propel Accelerator, which is part of a service used by Earthlink to speed up web browsing.

http://www.propel.com
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an old computer(not sure of stats) which has a Windows98 installation. I would like to copy the hard drive from this computer to either a backup drive or my XP drive...the Win98 HDD is ~30-40 GB and I have at least 75 GB clear on my XP.
The Win98 comp won't run the desktop. How can I copy the files? Will I be able to copy via its USB connections?
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I use an ethernet to connect the two computers if the Win98 won't load the desktop??
Also, I would like to (after copying all the HDD files) replace the HDD and install a better OS. How do I get the drivers from the Win98 HDD?(I don't know much about the model. it is an AMD, though.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts