Windows won't start

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

After I got my new laptop I gave my old one to my father. It's not a new one, in fact it's an old Acer Extensa 2000, but it ran fine for me on XP Pro, and anyway he only ever uses it for Word and the internet ...

The problem is apparently the kids played around on it (when will they learn not to let them?) and he showed me the screen where it says 'start windows from last known good configuration' or whatever it says ... he told me it'd been like that for three days, stuck on 28 seconds on the countdown thingy. I restarted and selected the last known good configuration and it took me to the screen with the bar, spent about 10 minutes there getting halfway across and then zipped on over to the windows load screen, then showed be the blue screen of death for a millisecond and restarted. Yeah, what a shambles.

Is there any way to solve this that doesn't include smashing the thing to pieces, getting a new laptop or re-installing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to tell you this but its screwed unless you reinstall windows.
Or interrogate the kids and make them tell you as much as they can about what they did when they were on it.

And post what they did here.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought so :) Just as well I taught dad how to use an external hard drive :D

They wouldn't know what they did, lol, they're 4 and 6 XD
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

At least you wont loose very much data since you have the external hard drive.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMARTH6 wrote:
why do you want a script kiddie or a craqcked to break your computer when a 4 year old boy can do it lol.

did you try safe mode???, you might want to use the windows xp pro cd to get access to cmd and restore your computer from there, just go to the windows\system32\restore folder and open it from there and follow the instructions

WTF are you on about? And did I even mention it was a boy? the problem has been solved through kicking and re-installing - stop reviving threads that have no relevance now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts